Landscape Timbers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mcwlandscaping, Apr 27, 2007.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I will be doing a kind of gravel driveway extension to the side of an existing paved driveway and was requested to use landscape timbers instead of stone (which i would have liked to use). Ive heard talk on here of certain grades of landscape timbers as far as quality and durability goes. How can you tell the difference and where can you buy the nice ones?

-mike-

2. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

Ask at the counter and check the tags at the end of the piece of lumber.

3. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

I've just used the ones from Home Depot (6x6 pressure treated). You can get larger more rustic and natural timbers at a landscape supply yard or similar place but i don't think they're cheap and do weigh alot. Depends how much the customer wants to spend and the look they want.

Here something simple i did with 6x6x12 PT from Home Depot:

DSCF4015 timbers.jpg

4. bigtex

bigtex LawnSite Member
    from ma

I Am In The Process Of Building A Wall Right Now With 4x6 I Bought From Home Depot, Like $13 Bucks Each And Looks Fine. (sorry No Pics)

5. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

I am not a fan of using timbers. I'm more of a stone guy. If you want quality wood make sure it treated.

6. mcwlandscaping

I feel the same way....but, ide prefer to make some money on landscape timber work than no money at all on the job :) thanks guys for the help and that pic that was posted, that looks good!

7. mcwlandscaping

went to home depot today to get a few prices, and the sign for the landscape timbers read like this:

Landscape Timbers 5 1/2x5 1/2x8'

wtf? isn't it suppose to be 6x6x8?

8. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

thats "home cheapo" for you

9. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

the actual size is 5 1/2 but its labeled as 6 usually because after planing it shinks 1/2 inch...i'm guessing when some guy made one of the hand made homedepot signs he actually got a tape measure and mesaured the actual width and height...but i'm sure its the exact same size as a "6x6"

10. mcwlandscaping

yea, i know it's 1/2 inch less, i just figured it was suppose to be called a 6x6.....like a 1 1/2x 3 1/2 is really a 2x4