Landscape Tool

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tjsquickcuts, Jan 24, 2007.

1. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Went out today and tested a BC MT55 Mini track loader, and was impressed with the performance and all that it can do. My question is, would it be worth it to purchase this machine, or a track loader.....I have a lot of Landscape Jobs, big and small, some irrigation installations, and a lot of hardscape work lined up for this year, and wanted to know which machine is the best bang for the buck.....I can always rent a track loader if I need the extra power.....Just hate to put my company in a tight spot purchasing a Track Loader....I just dont think I will have enough jobs to support the track loader this year, but in a year from now hopefully all that will have changed....Just curious on what you guys think....Got a good price on both though....2007 T250 w/ air Track Loader for around $40k with attachments.....and a Mini track for around $17k with attachments.....I plan to purchase by Feb 1st....

2. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

well, i have an older loader that i use sometimes. i have a toro dingo that i use all the time. i very rarely leave the shop without the dingo. i use it everyday.

3. Vermeer

Vermeer Inactive
    from Iowa

I think you have answered the question for yourself. You can rent the bigger machine if you need to on occasion. It would be much easier and more comfortable if you were not staring at a payment that could be double. The mini CUL's are capable of alot of tasks. Check out the "revisit mini skid discussion" in the tractor forum. The other option you could possibly set up is rent to own with your local dealer. There is a Vermeer dealer in Marietta and McDonugh that may be able to help you out with a S600TX

4. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I was in the same position as you last winter. I wanted a dingo, but I just could not justify 20k for the machine. I ended up paying cash for a used tx425... I have never regretted it. I don't think I would spend 20k on a new one unless you were actually using it everyday. Keystone Rental and Sales up in Deluth has excellent service... their dingos are a little pricey but they really know what they are doing.

5. tjsquickcuts

from Atlanta

Thanks for the info....never considered this particular brand, but seems well built, and capable of the same tasks, and I would guess less then the BC.....I will give them a visit tomorrow.....Got a call this morning from a builder about being their lawn vendor for new construction and mtce....., including grading and installing the sod.....75 homes with small lots....

6. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

My experience with builders...........watch out! They want everything as cheap as possible and then you'll usually have to wait for your money. There were a few contractors up here in Cherokee Co. who lost big when the builders started going under last summer.

I bought a used 420tx and love it. It's really my toy for the upcoming season. I bought it last fall because I felt I was getting a good deal on it.

7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

(1) What is the primary service that your business sells?
    (2) What is your highest yielding profit percentage service?
    (3) Can the track loader be as versatile as the mini-skid w/attachments?
    (4) Does the track loader require additonal purchases? i.e. bigger trailer and/or storage.
    (5) Is size of the machine an issue? Getting through gated yards, working in narrow alleys, turf repair, etc.

We have a Dingo TX425. For us what we got for ~same price as a smaller TLB we can do that much more work. Granted its never going to beat out a tracked loader in its intended environment...but it will perform the job (in most instances).

for larger jobs we just rent a mini-x or larger TLB if the job warrants it.

8. tjsquickcuts

from Atlanta

1.The primary service are mulch and landscape rock installs.....I have started to pick up a couple of hardscape jobs such as patios, small retaining walls, and walkways....Met with a allan block rep today, and will be going with their product for all future projects....I am would assume that 40% of my landscape jobs will be mulch, 20% Rocks, 15% Hardscape, 10% irrigation, and 15% sod, and new landscape..i.e.planting trees/shrubs and irrigation work...

2. My highest yielding profit percentage service would be rocks, and hardscape work...

3. I think I have made up my mind that the mini track would serve a better purpose with having to go between small pass between homes and gates....

4. Other thing that help make up my mind...would have to purchase another truck, and possibly another trailer....storage isnt a problem.....

5. Mini Track I think wins out.....

Thanks guys, really wanted to make sure I wasn't selling myself short.....but I didnt think anything that small could have so much power.....The mini Track could go on the trailer with the rest of the mowing equipment and we wont miss a beat.....Once I purchase, I will post photos of me learning on my lawn....guess my neighbors will hate me for a few weeks because I am going to dig up, trench, and grade up my entire lawn...lol...just kidding, but I will spend a lot of time learning the machine....

9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we also have the toro tx425 and i would NEVER think of doing my work without it...
    it is worth every penny...

as for the bobcat mt, keep in mind that they have a unique mounting plate and you will have less attachments available, and the ones you can get will be more expensive...

i would look at a machine with a dingo type plate... EVERY other manufacturer uses a dingo plate for thier machines... the bobcat is the only one that does not.

10. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I would at least demo a Toro Dingo. I think that new diesel tx525 is one sweeet machine. I agree w/ yardpro that you may want to consider a miniskid w/ a universal plate. You can save some serious money buying attachments on ebay.