landscape trailer

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Roger74428, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Roger74428

Roger74428 LawnSite Member

Having been in business a few years I am looking to purchase a trailer. I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD. My lawn equipment consist of a med size John Deere tractor a push mower and other small apparatus.What would I need to start with the expectation that I might grow and need more in the future. Thanks for any info.

2. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of service are you? Lawn and Landscape? Do you want an enclosed, dump, or open? 14-16ft. is always a nice size to start with. Good luck.

3. Roger74428

Roger74428 LawnSite Member

I am in lawn maint. and I would prefer a open because of the cost. Thanks for the help

4. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

If your looking to grow, maybe a 16ft. tandem. Might be a little big right now, but you can grow into it!!

5. B&D Lawn Care

B&D Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I would not start w/ anything smaller than a 6x12.

6. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

no less than a 16ftwith dual axles with a 3500 lb per axle rating and brakes on both axles a 78" inside bed width would be nice that way if you have a 6ft cutter deck it will fit in between the wheel wells on the trailer also you might even think about it being a Goose neck I like them better than a bumper pull any day to me it handles alot better and rides smoother than a bummper pull and you can jack knife it into tighter places thanyou can with a BP typle trailer
    twj

7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

I'm assuming your Deere is not like a 20 series, and you have been ramping this equipment into your pickup bed.

If you are a solo operator a 6x10 will be fine, not too big not too small. If you plan on going into mowing hard core with a crew, you will want 16' to fit the "Z"s.

If your going to be doing more landscaping a dump trailer is very handy, but they don't work that great for hauling equipment. If you get the low ones for easy loading the dump angle sucks, if you get the over-the-wheels kind for great dumping, putting equipment on is hard and makes for a heavy trailer for everyday hauling.

Basically there is a reason why there are so many different types of trailers. You just need to figure out how you plan on using it and buy the type that will most benefit you predicted use.

8. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

go with a nice 14 footer...my buddys dad has one and it is so nice...single axel and he puts a lot of stuff on there...but i would go with a 12-16 footer

9. hotpan

hotpan LawnSite Member

im starting with a 6X12 :)

10. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

If I was you, I would just get a 7x16 open tandem trailer. It might seem big at first but if your business takes off you will fill it up quick. If you go with something smaller than that, you will be replacing it in 2 years.:dancing: