Landscaper Drowned

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jpmako, Jun 12, 2007.

1. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

TOOMUCHWALKING LawnSite Member

What a way to go...poor bastard . I wonder if he knew what he fell in ?
  3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Yea, no crap... errrr....anyway,

What are the odds of that? And who's insurance would be responsible? I would guess the homeowner?
  4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

What the heck is a cesspool. Is that what you guys call a SEPTIC tank?

I just hope he was unconscious
  6. ManorD24

ManorD24 LawnSite Member

Well , I feel better that he didn't , um , drown . What the hell is a Wrightstander ? Is that the Deere machine ? R.I.P. , dude...
  8. fargoboy

fargoboy LawnSite Member

septic system is a holding tank with a leech field to drain away the liquids. Cesspool is just a big tank that leaked. A lot of them were made out of bricks that were just layed with no cement so they would leak. When public sewers came along, they hooked up the pipes to the system and filled in the cesspools with cinders from the heaters. Every once in awhile someone discovers these old cesspools the hard way when they finally cave in. I have personally seen two cement trucks go this way in the past thirty years but never heard of anyone drowning in one. They are usually only about six feet deep but who knows he might have hit his head going in
  9. ManorD24

ManorD24 LawnSite Member

Cesspools are like septic tanks only they have slots in them to drain the liquids out. A septic tank is solid to hold solids and then the liquids go into a leaching field. With cesspools the waste exits the house and sits in the cesspool which are now made out of pre-cast concrete rings, but prior to pre-cast they made them out of actual concret blocks, and over time they become unstable and colapse. I'm in the FD and 6 years ago we had a man die when he fell in his in his back yard while walking, and last year we pulled 2 men out of one, when it collapsed. Most houses on long island have cesspools, the rest are hooked up to central sewer districts.
  10. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

thats gotta in peace