Landscaper drowns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Richard Martin, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Same thing happened to guy here about two years ago, right down the road. The mower slid into the lake and he could not swim. I had known the guy for 15 years or more. Not a close friend, but had talked to him many times. The lake was a small pond really, not too many houses on it. In fact I had taken care of 4 lawns on the same lake years earlier.

3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Richard, I see the weather has us both inside today. It is truly a shame when something like this happens. You can never be too careful.

Gravely_Man

4. dklawncare

dklawncare LawnSite Member

I have had a couple close encounters with my Lazer Z HP and a ditch but I stay at least a yard and a half away from any edge on a lake. I hope that guy who owned the landscape company had workmen's comp. Lord knows it wasn't his fault, but he could get in a world of trouble.

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I don't mean any disrespect, but I just can't understand how anybody could "not know" how to swim. I never had to be taught, I just swam. It's just a matter of flapping your arms and kicking your legs or drowning!

I mean, I'm no Mark Spitz, but I can swim, and if I didn't "know how to swim" and I ended up in the water, I'm pretty sure I could figure out how to at least keep my head above water. Maybe I couldn't break any records getting back to shore but I would not die. I mean, isn't it almost instinctive, or even panic induced? If you did not know how to swim and ended up in the water wouldn't you start kicking your legs, or pulling at the water with your hands trying to stay afloat? Isn't that essentially swimming, not a refined technique but it should keep you alive.

I feel bad for this guy, what a horrible way to die.

Again, I mean no disrespect, I just cant understand it.

I think this may be a case of the mower rolling over on him and either knocking him out underwater, or pinning him to the bottom.

6. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

thats a real shame.maybe he should of had a flex deck or use a trimmer for that area????

7. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Smallwood is a fairly good sized company so I am sure they had workers comp., anytime you have more than three employees here you are required to have it.

Most of the "lakes" around condos are just retention ponds and are usually at bad angles. Problem is getting started but once you are on them it isn't too bad. I had an employee put a mower of mine in a pond about 7 years ago. The mower was 4 hours old!!! He didn't die from the water but he took most of the day putting his eye balls back in after I finished choking him!:D :D

8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

He could have been pinned in shallow water under a 1200 lb mower, doesn't matter how good you can swim in that case.

9. Cooper Landscaping

Cooper Landscaping LawnSite Member

If I read it right it said that he surfaced once- that tends to indicate to me that he wasnt pinned, he just didnt know how to swim:confused:
    Terrible thing tho
    -Coop

10. dklawncare

dklawncare LawnSite Member

If I were a betting man I would say that panic played a big factor. Its not that all he had to do was kick his legs, but he probably was too panic stricken that he couldn't think right. Thats why some lifeguards nearly drown, because the drowning people they are trying to save are tugging, pulling them down in a tremendous panic attack stage. It also sounded like the guy's name referred to him as a latino. This guy may not have been born in the US and was never taught how to swim in his home country.