Landscaper Injuries

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Oxmow, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone heard of or been around an accident this year?

We had an area landscaper in Tulsa that was found at the bottom of a pool still wearing his backpack blower. Haven't heard lately how he is but was in critical condition.

This was about a week ago.

2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

We had a guy at the end of 2005 try uncloging a tub grinder ( If I have the details right may be a different grinder/chipper) He had to be pulled out after the investigation was performed. lost legs and bottom of torso and his life. The funeral was the same day and at the same funeral home as my fathers was back in november of 05

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing unusual here, only flew over the handlebars twice this year :laugh:

I'm really beginning to hate that transaction lol, it is so annoying!

4. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I remember reading back in the summer about a landscaper who was doing some tree work in Texas and was climbing up in the tree and was about 50 feet up when he grabbed Ahold of a tree branch and was bitten by a rattle snake. He was lowered down and taken to the hospital and i think he survived, i never heard anything else about it. I didn't even know rattle snakes climbed trees. Did anyone else hear about this story? I heard it back in August 06

5. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Fellow RockSetter hired his brother to help him set rock. Even sent his brother to "excavator school". Long story short, the kid rolled a 200 series excavator down a hill side, was thrown out of the machine and tumbled down the hill in front of the rolling excavator. The kid came to a stop and the excavator rolled over on top of him. Now here's the kicker! The cab door was pinned open and the machine landed on him so it put him inside the cab when it came to rest. The guy was totally unhurt except for his rolling down the hill bruises. Needless to say, the younger brother quit the equipment business and moved back home to Colorado with his folks.

6. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Another buddy of mine owns a rock quarry. They were blasting rock and found out the next day that an 8" round rock shot across the highway, went through a garage wall and embedded itself in the drivers door of a very spendy car. The rock penetrated the car door and was half way inside the vehicle. I saw the car with the rock still stuck in the side of it.

7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

A few months ago here in WI a man was killed after a wood chipper caught his foot and sucked him in.

8. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

friend of mine was pulling a brush burner with a trachoe and backed of a 30 foot high wall with a 300 cat. i think a few broke ribs and brused from head to toe was all the 60 year old man got.

9. Youngbeginner

Youngbeginner LawnSite Member

Long story short. First season in business: cut kneecap with chainsaw, hospitalizing bee sting, popped 2 tires on gooseneck (with 2000 lb. of mulch), cut end of finger off, and cut through steel toed boot, just missing toes.

10. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

And there was a 2nd season?

:hammerhead: