Landscaper Killed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DavidD, Aug 12, 2002.

1. DavidD

DavidD LawnSite Member
    from sc

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Right there is the reason I do very little tree work. It scares the **** outta me. If I can drop a whole tree in just about any direction then no problem. But pushing a tree? Darwin awards are in order. Just hope it wasn't Charles.

3. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

that is horrible. did you know him?

you can never be too safe :(

4. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Thats bad news, I've had some close calls myself. I was in the pulpwood/Logging/Chipping business for 11 yrs.

5. AVRECON

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

6. Art Stubbs handy 58

Art Stubbs handy 58 LawnSite Member

We'll say a prayer for him and his family, so sorry to hear the news...

7. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

An 18 year ols kid died on a ZTR this year by me. He was driving a Scag Turf Tiger on a slope, next to a lake wall, and wearing his seat belt w/o a roll bar.

8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

One of my best friends was killed a few years ago cutting a tree. He was at a friends house in the early morning and the tree top fell and hit him in the head killing him instantly. The home owner and also a friend of both of us came home later in the day and saw the truck in the drive, looked for him and finally found him hanging in the tree. He was one of the best people I have ever met, a real loss.

I stay away from trees.

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

im no aborist but i take safe jobs.
    an aborist can enliten me here but
    i been taken trees all my life and i see a
    lack of knowledge of how to fell a tree in this article. makes me wonder if the author didnt really understand the helper and mabe just used his imagination ,as to what happened. not critical of the dead . just think the article is incorrect in details.
    this is the most dangerous wk i do ,and a 53 yr old tree man, would know better.
    this is one function of the hinge.
    of course anybody doing this much, ,knows anything can happen.your time is your time. jmho.sympathies to the poor mans family.

10. sprucehavenfarm

sprucehavenfarm LawnSite Member

A 20 year old was killed in Muncie IN a couple weeks ago while cutting a clients grass. This was a day after a storm and a live wire was hidden in the trees. He connected with it and died about a week later. His partner called 911 and a police officer was severely injured when she backed into the same line and then fell against an EMT who was also injured. That was the first they figured a wire was hidden in the branches. Officer lost some toes and is having skin grafts but survived and EMT was treated and released. Very scary!:cry: