landscaper/mower weed referrals

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Oct 14, 2013.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I've been working with a couple of companies who do not do spray work. We have been billing the company who then marks it up and passes it on to the homeowner. I guess this is how they are doing it.

Because they are billing the homeowner it often takes some time to get paid and I have had 2 applications on the same invoice before. I don't mind billing the company but don't want to get screwed holding the bill!

I'm wondering how best to handle it. I would like to bill the homeowner directly and maybe pay the company a referral fee ... percentage of yearly gross or something?

What has worked for you guys? Im a mowing and app company and the are landscaping/hardscaping company. We both stick to what we know.

2. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

I know in the past whenever we referred our clients, if they signed up for a yearly app, the company gave us a finders fee that was the equivalent of one app price.

For clients that they sent our way that became seasonal regular clients (weekly/bi-weekly) we always gave a finders fee for the cost of one mowing.

We've had a great relationship with this fert company for years and it's worked great for the both of us, even to the extent that the owner and his pushing was a big reason I've became certified.

3. WestGaPineStraw

WestGaPineStraw LawnSite Senior Member

The companies you work for should have the operating capital.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. grassmasterswilson

from nc

My thoughts too so no reason I should have past due invoices for apps. They like to add the app onto an invoice. So I feel,like I'm waiting for their customer to pay them and then the landscaper pays me.

The regular customers he has me doing would be a big sell...maybe 6000 not including one time sprays. Pretty big for a company who bills out less then 75-100k of apps.

I would much rather they be my customer and bill them directly. Would be nice to set up a deal where I pay him a "finders or referral fee."

5. grassmasterswilson

from nc

My standard weed/Fert program is 6 steps. I'm thinking the referral fee of one apps price would work for anyone agreeing to a full program.