Landscaper or Bullsh*****

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by coolluv, Dec 27, 2007.

1. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

How many of you guys are actual experienced and trained landscapers and designers and how many are full of it. I see many companies in my area that have on there signs landscape design and installation. I will bet that many are not even no where near qualified to do the work. I'm not talking about the big guys, I'm talking about Joe Shmow, Jose and Billy Bob.

Maybe they hire others to do the design work and they just do the installs I don't know? My guess is many are not qualified and are trying to do it themselves.

So my question is this, are you one of those or are you really qualified to do the work?

Just curious, Dave...

2. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

What meats qualification fancy degrees or experience?

3. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have a designer do all the work - I get the job, bid the job, may even work on the job, shoot ideas to client - degree - nothing but a 4 yr double major in biz admin. & financing. First Landscape job topping $1000 was back when I was 16 (driving age) from there jobs range from $1000 - $50K. So you decide if I am JOE BLOW or qualified to meet your requirments.

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I am definitely not qualified. Good thing I don't do landscape designs, I usually just wing it when I am at the jobsite. But at least I lowball so the customers don't give a crap.

5. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

Way da come out swingin, dude.

6. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious which one are you?

7. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Research his other posts and he is obviously the latter. Not saying that is a bad thing, but he doesn't have a bunch of experience......and that is ok. But he shouldn't be posing this question.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I believe every in our area. But the problem comes in the installation. Almost every site leaves roadbase under some of the planting areas(in our area the planting areas are small) and the fill is full of rocks and junk. If we could get rid of the road base and put in good soil we would use less water. We are in the lawn maintenance and irrigation repair after the install and I see a lot of real winners.

9. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

The thing is that we all look at the industry as having a minimum threshold of legitimacy which just so happens to be defined by our own qualifications. Those of us who have started with shovels in our hands and have no degrees view those with degrees as having no practical experience. Those with the degrees view those without them as being scrubs.

The fact of the matter is that if someone is buying your services, you are legitimate. Whoever you are losing jobs to are legitimate competition. Those who you can not take work from are apparently ahead of you or you would get the jobs.

It is a diverse industry and there are lots of niches within it that require less knowledge and experience and lots that require more. We don't decide that, the consumers do. It is what it is.

10. roguesuerte

roguesuerte LawnSite Member

I started in the industry working for a large design build firm for several years, while I was going to college. Turned out that I liked landscaping alot more than accounting. A buddy of mine from highschool went to Rutgers and graduated as with a Landscape/Horticulture degree and is now a Landscape Architect. He had always been self-employed, never working in the field for anyone else.
    That being the case, who is more qualified? Where did you learn this trade, Dave, and are you qualified?