Landscaper Supply Mowers Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Pallas, Feb 12, 2001.

1. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I've gone back a re-read quite a few threads on this subject. Looking for experienced responses. We're thinking about trying one of these Landscaper Supply 48" belt drives. (It's about $800 less than the Exmark). My employees will and do break anything. We do all repairs in house - so service isn't really an issue - parts availability is. The engines (14 Kaw) and tranny (Peerless) are the same (as Exmark, Bunton, Bobcats, etc) - so to a certain extent we can expect some similarity in performance. What about the rest? Quality of cut? Breakdowns - deck welds, etc?
    I'm gonna end up fixing the unit anyway (we cut about 450 a week - so there's a lot of wear and tear). My question is, at the 48" belt drive level, is the Landscaper Supply really that different from an Exmark? I've read great things about the Exmark brand (we've been using Buntons for the past 10 years or so). Are the Landscaper Supply mowers as bad as some of you have said or is it just a question of service from local dealers?

I don't mean to re-thread an old subject, but your input is greatly regarded.

2. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

I've never used them... I think for the extra $ I would buy the exmark. Can you demo one to compare it??

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

My neighbor across the street has one,he bought it this year.It is a 48 with a 14hp.it stripes great,and cuts as good as my Dixie,he hasnt had any problems yet,but its only 1 season old.

4. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

As far as I know, there's no way to demo it around here. I contacted a sales rep - for reference, he said that a lot of scag parts are interchangable. I'm seriously thinking about giving one of these a try.

5. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Jason-

If you're going to do all the work in house on the machine, then if it does what John D. says then it would be worth saving $800. I don't think that they've been around long enough to get a longevity reading from this. If I'm correct they came out 2 yrs ago!

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Check the gauge of the steel on the deck and the chassis out. Oh yeah, it DOES make a difference! What kind of bearing are they running? What size axles does it use? What are they made of? The transmissions are Peerless, but what MODEL of Peerless? (Yes, there are different ones-some lighter duty) How is their service SUPPORT? In other words, do you have a rep call you back that same day if you have questions or problems? I'll tell ya, you try to save 800 bucks on a major investment like this, and it could be the most expensive 800 dollars you'll have ever had. I know I wouldn't risk it. ESPECIALLY if I've got two other guys out in the field running this stuff! Just my .02.

7. John DiMartino

I never even got close to the mower and looked at though,so dont go by me-this guy is very good to his equipment-always sharp blades,machine is well kept.I do hear him wind it to the max all the time-then engage the blades-I cant beleive he is still on his original belt,I hate when he does that-the belt chirp sounds terrible.

8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

John: Is that mower used for your neighbors lawn only or is it used every day? This might only have less than a weeks use for a Pro. Most home owners use them an hour a week or 30 hours a year, where a Pro uses them at least 30 hours a week.

9. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

They've been making those mowers since '95 I believe. I had a part time job at one of their locations a couple of years ago. I have one of those that I bought in '97. Its still alive. I believe I was told they are a Bunton knock off, courtesy of a Bunton engineer that left them to work for Black Rock which LS bought out a few years ago to have that line of mowers for themselves. My memory is getting hazy in my old age, but that is close to the story.
    Buying this mower taught me the hard learned lesson that you get what you pay for. However, since I was just starting out, the price was right for me & that mower has paid for itself a couple of times over for sure. It got my business going after my original well used & abused Kees started to break down too much (that mower was an '83 and the quality of cut & ease of use was much better than the brand new '97 LS). There are no service centers at the dealers for these machines so you are on your own (any service place can fix them, but I'm sure you won't be first in line). I am somewhat mechanically inclined so this was never a problem for me. The quality of cut is definitely not as good as the higher priced mowers, but overall I did not have any major problems with this unit. I will say that while working for them, many of their mowers came back for warranty work and at that time they had some major quality control issues at their manufacturing plant. These problems may or may not have been since addressed, so they may be put together correctly again. That's my .02

10. John DiMartino

That mower does about 15-20 yards a week,he's PT lawn care right now loking to go full time soon.