1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Landscaper truck or Vanscaper truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by johnnyjay, Jan 1, 2004.

1. johnnyjay

johnnyjay LawnSite Member

Need some recommendations. I want to grow and build my business this next year and move up from truck and trailer to a landscaper truck crew cab or vanscaper truck. What are the pros and cons for each of these trucks. With a landscaper truck I was thinking about putting up a camper type carport to park it under and run a chaining link fence around to lockup area. I would not have to do this with a vanscaper. From my research it seems that the landscaper would be a more versatile body and easier to work out of. Give me your opinions. Thanks.

Atlanta, GA Area:waving:
  2. chris08087

chris08087 LawnSite Member

I looked into these bodies, they're pretty neat, but I ultimately decided that a dump truck pulling a trailer is more versitile. For me, at least, if I'm not mowing I can use the truck forpicking up stone, delivering firewood in the off season, or many other things that those specilized trucks could not do.

But, if I had to chose, I would go with the vanscaper. Like you said, you dont have to worry about putting it in a fence, and all of your equipment is out of the weather, and at the end of the season you just winterize your stuff and park the truck and your ready to go next spring.

Just my oppinion, but I think a dump truck with an enclosed trailer is just as good if not better.

good luck, let us know what you chose and why!
  3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I would vote for Vanscaper. Not only is your stuff protected from weather and thieves, but you have to remember you have WALLS to hang stuff on, like small hand tools, spare parts, etc.
    I would think you could carry more things that you might need, so it's like having a shop on wheels.

Then there's the bonus "rolling billboard" if you letter it up.

Plus I read from another member that uses a boxvan that he liked that he could do maintenance on equip while he's waiting for a rain to pass over.
    Can squirt in the back in privacy if you need to.;)

I think it looks cleaner and more professional (so might customers or potential customers).

And I would think that you could still tow a trailer if you needed to for any reason (like hauling debris, etc.).

Will you still have a pick up truck at all? If so, you could put a dump insert in that and set up your "extra jobs" (jobs other then mowing) for a single day and just use your pick up for them. For example, do your hedge trimming jobs on one day and just take your hedge trimmers/tarps/rakes in the bed of the truck.
    Or haul mulch/wheel barrow/hard rakes to smaller mulch jobs so you don't have to take the big truck.
    And you could use the pick up truck for running to the dealers/suppliers, doing estimates, etc.

Ok, now I'm rambling. Just throwing out some thoughts.

Keep us posted on what you decide.
  4. PKB005

PKB005 LawnSite Member

5. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

pics of my cuttin rig

Here are some pics of my cuttin' rig that I posted a while ago. It's a 99 Isuzu NPR HD cab-over box truck. It has a 14,500GVW, and a 175HP diesel engine, backed by an Aisin automatic/od transmission. I hope my pics give you some kind of idea of what's out there. In another post, I listed some of the many reasons a box truck is a much better option for me than an open bed truck would have been. Below are some of my reasons.

1. (SECURITY) I never need to load up my truck at the end of a work day, the way I'd have to if I had gotten an open truck, nor worry about unloading it at the end of the day. All of my equipment is out of sight, behind 3 padlocks on the truck. On top of that, everything is locked to the truck inside on it's own rack.

2. (STORAGE ROOM) I have tons more storage space than an open truck would have. I have tons of room to store things on my walls, ceiling, and have storage use of all my truck's floor space. If I got an open truck with a dove tail, I wouldn't be able to conveniently park on that dove tail section of the floor the way I can with my box-style.

3. (ADVERTISEMENT SPACCE) With a box truck you basically have a billboard on wheels. You have so much more room for showing your company name, and number on those big flat walls, compared to an open set-up.

4. (WORKSHOP ON WHEELS) My truck is like a workshop on wheels. When I'm cutting, and it starts to rain. I can pull inside the truck, and change blades, or scrape the mower decks, or reload line-trimmer spools etc. I have lights I can use to make late night repairs, if I want to. In an effort to make the best use of my time one day when It started raining cats, and dogs in the middle of an account. I pulled the Lazer into the back of the truck, and changed the oil since it was due. In the back of the truck. I have a storage cabinet that I keep oil, and supplies locked up in. That way they're always there, when I need them.

5. (PRIVACY) When I'm out, and about, and mother nature starts calling. I don't have to look for a public restroom. All I have to do is go up into the back of the truck, shut the door, and use my camping toilet. That way, if it's a little deal, or a BIG deal, I'm prepared for it. I used to hate having to load everything up, just for a restroom break. That wasted a lot of time.

With my truck, I can still haul big machines like tractors, and small bobcats. These trucks obviously aren't made to handle bulk items in loose form, so I use my pickup, or dump-trailer for that. I don't bag clippings, and only use bagged mulch so leaves are the only bulk item I tend to handle.

I hope this helped you out at least a little. If you have any questions, feel free to call me at 614-837-2750. A lot of others have and if I can help you on this, I will.

6. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

7. ant

i cant see spending 50 grand on something that (in my case) sit part of the day (i do it part time)
    i am in the market for a used one..and then buy the box
  8. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

There are places around here that sell those trucks Box and all for the mid 15 grand price range used. The only problem is there is no gate/ramp. just a plain jane box truck..... People are buying them and having metal fabricators build them a swing down ramp.
  9. ant

i am thinking of getting a box truck and add a tail like this pictuer. any of you have one like this beaver tail?

10. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a Hino with a 16ft Supreme box and a 3ft dovetail. We like it because everything stays dry and we dont have to worry about storage.