1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Landscaper - working radius?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by drsogr, Mar 9, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I do completely landscaping. No lawn maintenance whatsoever. So many of my jobs have a lot of value in them. My question is...what kind of working radius do most landscapers try to keep? I drive as far as 45 minutes away from my house to work on jobs. I was thinking of limiting my radius and spending more money advertising in a smaller area. Would this work?

The amount of time and money that I spend traveling I, if I spent the some of the money I spend on travel time on more advertising in a smaller area. I think I would get more name recognition...grow faster...but I wouldn't be able to reach as many potential customers.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Anyone went from taking jobs on a larger working radius to a smaller one? As a smaller company I feel I could fill my schedule with a smaller working radius...it would just take a larger advertising commitment....but I think it would pay off better dividends in the long run.

2. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

I would definitely target a smaller radius.. But also being a smaller co we wont turn down any jobs in a reasonable distance and I would say 45 min would be the tops.. Of course the customer does know but they do pay a lot higher price..We were actually at a job once and forgot the compactor (monday lol)and I decided just to rent one for the day then to drive all the way back to get mine..