1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Landscapers...I have a question...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Carolina Cutter, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Currently I do lawn Maintenance work. I have enough business to keep me busy but have thought about moving into the landscaping sector to grow the business.

Ok here's my question.....

Of those on here who do landscape design how many have actually had formal schooling for landscape design?

Also....where did you get your training?

Thanks guys!
  2. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

I am in S.C.-upstate and Tri County Tech. offers a course that is 11 units to get a Master Gardner Certificate. The course covers design along with just about anything concerning Lawn Maittenance......good luck
  3. Popper357

Popper357 LawnSite Member

I am halfway through my PCDI Landscape Design course and love it. We are hand drafting and learning all the neccessary basics. I give it a ten!
  4. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Then you are just who I needed to hear from. Sent my info today to PCDI for the Professional Landscape Designer course. Tell me about it and how its working for you...........
  5. TurfdudeNCSU

TurfdudeNCSU LawnSite Member

We offer landscaping and maintenance. I have a Horticulture degree from NC State. We do design and install. It's alittle more than just diggin a hole and planting a shrubs there. Need to know the legets about it first. Not saying that you don't, but thats how alot of guys around here really mess up.
  6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

What is PCDI?
  7. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

PCDI is the Professional Career Development Institute. they offer a landscape design class....

merlin, do you want me to save you $600? i hope you did not sign up for the class already.....
  8. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

went to MSU (mississippi state) for 5 years. got BS in landscape contracting. classes consisted of business classes, landscape architecture classes, and contracting classes.the life there was boring but the education was well worth the effort. i would recomend it to anyone who has the time and money to do it.
  9. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

i was wondering why i never liked you.....you beat us a few times....i went to UF...

j/k. i like your posts. :)
  10. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I have a couple of question about PCDI. Is the course region specific? I guess there is no plant identification courses. It looked cheesy from there website, but I could be wrong.