1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Landscapers in my area should be ashamed.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tinman, May 31, 2005.

1. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

I go to a property today to do a 1 time mow. Maybe the nicest subdivision in the county now (up to $500 K homes). I figured the yard would be a piece of cake ...smooth & all. Not like a lot of new lawns I service, in which the backyard is just seeded with rye grass & some fescue thrown out onto the roughest ground you can imagine. Well it was worse. Sodded front was OK, but the back had piles of rock, concrete chunks, boards, etc just laying all around in the grass. & the far back had ruts like at a tractor pull. Unreal. I know these builders set a tight budget on everything including the lawn, but at least the landscapers could smooth it out & not leave it un-mowable (if that is even a word. :) )
    These people who buy these homes should at least look at what is in their back yard b4 closing on a home.
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Hey poor Landscapers are the last ones to see the money!!They are the last step people take to complete the new home and last one they take to get ready to sell the old one.Before us the building contractor,plumber,electricians,roofers,drywallers,and cement guys have taken all they can get then we are up for the last of the last dregs of the homeowners money they might have left after that. That's why you see these hundredthousand dollar home's sitting there with one little tree in front,or a few scraggly plants.
    I know what you are speaking of though.It's the contractors responsibility to make sure that stuff is cleaned up for sure!!
  3. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

I can't beleive the homeowners do not notice these things. But this lady did not have a clue. She said there was one "high spot in the back" . No joke it was 4 ft. high....needs bushhogging. I've mowed some nasty stuff b4 but nothing close to that high. I just left her a note on the bill telling her to get someone out to bushhog that part.
  4. Grass Masters

Grass Masters LawnSite Member
    from NC

Home owners do see it but dont care all they care about is getting moved in and figure taht the Lawn Guys can straighten it out
  5. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

I had worked for a local historical society a few years back before they had their own maintenance guy. They had just redone this building, probably spent a mil plus, had equipment on site all one summer, still managed to do a hack job on the lawn. A couple old stumps were left, when I first mowed I had to pick rocks and rebar, and the front that had been "landscaped" was just horrible, four inch strips of grass between beds (mow with trimmer then blow out bed), no mower access to some areas, grass growing out of mulch about as quick as it was layed down, but, they did manage to install a decent walkway.
  6. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

The people that haul off the building debris and do the major grade work for the builder. I know when my parents place was built in 96 the builder just buried all this crap in our yard, it was unbelievable.
  7. kilpatrickshrub&turf

kilpatrickshrub&turf LawnSite Member

Been my experience the dirtwork/gradework is the responsibility of the contractor before the landscape crews arrive to bid on the job. Hey,,, im still owed for the last tractor work i did, better call him tomorrow.
  8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Landscapers have little to do with new lawns in new subdivisions, At least around here.
    The contractors have a half azzed grading job done and the spray rig comes in..............Rocks? Oh, you want them removed???????? :p
  9. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Yards like that are very common around here. The places go up so quickly, and the builder wants to turn them over to realtors as fast as possible. We did a 2.5 acre site 2 weeks ago, and halfway around the back of 2 finished units, the soil wasn't prepped any further on the unfinished units. They told us when we called it was spray ready, so I called the developer to make sure. He said it was as ready as it was going to get(pending completion of the units, then a final renovation will be done), and to go ahead and spray everything that was contracted. Basically a third or so was just for erosion control until they finish construction. I dropped by today to check on everything, and I've got nice grass coming in everywhere, but they already tore up several place with trucks, and ripped up a 250' strip with the dozer getting the road prepped for asphalt. We will be spraying about one third or so of it again this fall after the new units are completed, so I don't really care. This is one of the few builders I have worked with who actually cares about the lawns and landscaping, and is trying to maintain stormwater management on his site. Most of the other builders would never re do the areas after completion...at least around here
  10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

We've dealt with this before, as far as landscaping goes. We pick and choose which builders we'll work for. Some of them want it now, now, now and cheap, cheap, CHEAP! We won't do shoddy work and put our name on it so we just tell the builder we're busy and pass it along to some lowball joe, happens all the time.