Landscaping a Pool

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bilchak, May 20, 2001.

1. bilchak

bilchak LawnSite Member

The local Country Club wants me to spruce up their pool for them with a new landscape. Any suggestions for landscaping a pool? The inside
    is to be left alone as there is not enough room as is for people
    to lay out, etc. My job is to landscape outside of the fenced in area. I was thinking lots of color (perenials/annuals) since the pool
    is only used May to September.

ONE MORE THING. The pool sits above the 18th green. There
    is a large hillside back there with an out of control taxus that
    I've been told to cut down and replace. They want
    the initials of the club (PCC) spelled out in some sort
    of flower/bush. Anyone have any suggestions on what
    to use????? I've never attempted to spell something
    out in flower and/or bushes.

Thanks so much,
  2. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

Stay away from sweet alyssum type flowers that attract a lot of bees. When spelling out letters or logos Petunias are generally the flower of choice.

Good Luck,
    Jim L
  3. KD'sLawns

KD'sLawns LawnSite Member

If I were going to spell anything out in flowers or bushes, especially in Ohio. I would use an evergreen like a low growing Juniper or shrubs. also, I would sell them on annuals and bulbs for the flowers. This way you could get the maintanence year-round. The evergreens would have to be trimmed to keep their shape. Also, the flowers would have to be changed seasonally. Keeps money coming into your pocket. In the winter, you could put some pansies out with some crocus bulbs. Spring, have some daffodills and tulips with maybe some dianthus(although they are biennials). Summer, the dianthus would still do well and maybe you could add some petunias. Don't know the area size you are talking about so it is hard to say what all you could use. Do not know how much shade/sun either. Contact a few of your local nurseries as they could tell you better which flowers grow better in you region and climate. But, I would definately go with an evergreen to spell. That way it looks nice year round.
  4. bilchak

bilchak LawnSite Member

Greens 1,

Thanks for the info. My Dad used to live in Groose Pointe. I bet
    you have some reeeeeeal nice yards up there.

KD's Lawns. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it very much. The Bee thing never crossed my mind! Good point.

5. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not much of an annual expert, but we have used marigolds successfully for the spelling application. Background we used was pachysandra which gives good contrast and can be hacked back. Petunias work well but I'm from a place called the petunia city so I consider them a bit overdone in our area :).
  6. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

If you go with a evergreen letter, I would stick to boxwood. I believe dwarf english boxwoods are the best choice for this. They can be planted right on top of each other and you can prune it back that day to form nice, squared lettering. Also, can be kept to a very nice height around 1 foot tall.

If you go the evergreen route, make sure to remind them that that it does require maintenance. You will need to prune the letters at least twice a year, even more for a more upkept look. This needs to be laid out at installation. If not, you skip a year or two, and they will become out of control and you will lose the effect. Between cost of boxwoods, labor spent installing, and then yearly maintenance, this is an expensive proposition. I just like to make people aware of that before they commit.

Annuals would also work well and be a cheaper route short term, but more expensive in the long run as you have to replace yearly.

I would stay away from junipers personally, but it may work. They tend to not grow in a favorable manor though for this type of layout.

7. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Steve got it right...I am hesitant on giving advice because I am not familar with your climate... if boxwood grows there , go with it
  8. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

There is a lot of good advice posted here. You may want to draw up a proposal for the evergreen lettering and the annual lettering. It has been my experience that most customers who ask for lettering or logo plantings allready have a pretty good idea of what they want.

Good Luck,
    Jim L
  9. jkinchla

jkinchla LawnSite Member
    from MA

Yews seem to be the shrub of choice for spelling out initials here in MA.
  10. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

japenese hollys also work well for spelling out words!