Landscaping a trade?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Lynden-Jeff, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey,

I had an argument with a friend. I would consider landscaping a trade but you rarely hear it mentioned when people talk about traders like carpentry, tool and die, electric etc. Do you guys consider this a trade?

Cheers
    Jeff

2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Design / Build / Construction I would consider a trade, but not maintenance.

3. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Hell Yes Landscaping is a trade.
    Plant knowledge, appropriate licensing, insurance, equipment expenses and necessary business acumen make it so.
    Or is an industry that generates over $5 Billion dollars a year a part time hobby?

4. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the "trade" has a specific meaning. Let me check...

"5. some line of skilled manual or mechanical work; craft: the trade of a carpenter; printer's trade."

So I'll change my standing and say all Greensmen are tradesman as well. I just never called myself a "tradesman" in the maintenance field. I don't call myself that now, but I guess we are???

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Land or hardscaping, yes...mowing probably not.

6. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

It's all about the approach. It certainly can be a trade. It can also be a job to some people.

If you take pride in the work and provide a good service, you are a tradesman, or a craftsman.

If you are just doing the minimum possible to get paid and moving along, with no consideration of how your work looks, you have a job masquerading as a trade.

7. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know how you can say that. All of them are, at least if you are successful at it. It takes a certain amount of skill to operate a machine it may not be much skill as land or hard, but some skill is required. If you still think that that is wrong, it takes a certain amount of skill to operate any business successfully. You have, all the paperwork, you have to manage money, manage employees, manage equipment/maintenance, a so on. So I do think it is a trade because it does require skill, even if it isn't in the field it requires business skill.

8. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

How about being called a "Groundsman" ?

9. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

Cutting grass on a Z Operating Engineer with out the pay.
    Landscaper should have a apprentice program like the unios have.

10. VBsnow

VBsnow LawnSite Member

You cannot get a degree in carpentry, but you sure can get one in landscape design.