Landscaping along a creek

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by battags, Sep 2, 2003.

1. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I don't do much instalation and I'm not very good a picking out the right kind of plants, shrubs, flowers, for the areas I need them to grow. So here is my situation....

I have a creek in my back yard and would like to dress up the other side but still keep it looking natural. Right now it is over-grown with weeds and has some nice oak and elm trees on the other side. I have no bridge to cross the creek and my city won't allow one to be built. What ever goes in there has to pretty low maint.

Im in Northeast Ohio, so you know what kind of climate I'm dealing with. The area gets lots of moring and early afternoon sun and is relatively flat. The creek has over-flowed before and moves at a quick pace, so I don't want anything with shallow roots. Also, I need something that will grow at a minumum of 2-3 feet to grow higher than the weeds in the area.

Any ideas of an assortment to go in this spot? I'll try to send a pic.

2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

You should go to your town building department and find out about what you can do or not do legaly where it concerns water.

I do know that most states require buffer zones around water and landscapes.

3. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, checked that out already. Basically they told me that I can not build or install anything that could disrupt the natural flow of water. They are dredging the stream bed this week and will be leaving nothing behind but dirt and mud from the excavator.

They said no bridges or rock can be installed. But, they have no limitations on shrubs and plants, as long as they are not planted on the slope to the stream itself. Basically a 2 foot drop along my property.

I'm more concerned with finding something that won't require maintenance from year to year, and will grow higher than the level of the existing brush.

4. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Honeysuckle and forsythia come to mind. Nothing fancy, but both should be able to establish along a bank, and both should hold soil in place.

5. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Does Elderberry grow out there? ( stocked in nurseries?)