Landscaping and Retiring.......to some point

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tthomass, Nov 30, 2006.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

When do you realistically plan to retire? Then again, define retirement!

I plan to semi-retire at 35. I think of it as in I will be able to walk away for a week or more at a time and have no concern. The company will be able to run without my total presence.

Right now I'm 22 and know that this is a very realistic goal. As for full retirement............well probably never but at 35 I feel I will then be able to look back and think "I've made it".

2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I'm 30 now and want to be able to take a day off every now and then within 2 years. By 35 I want to be able to come in, send my guys out, do some paperwork and then go golfing for rest of the day. Check in around 4:30-5:30 to see how the day went then count my money $$$$. By 40 I want to pull in whenever in my porshe, find out whats going on and leave. Now we all know that wont happen but I can always dream

3. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

In the business only 2 years and allready talking about retiring? Maybe I should come and work in your area!

Im 23 and can hopefully partially retire at 40....pending the world of landscaping being taken over by autopiloted electric equipment.

I do well enough now that I can take off whenever I want for somewhere near a week at a time before things get out of control. Times like this defenetly makes it worth while being self employed. Generally if I take time off its a Friday-Monday type trip.

By atleast 30-35 I hope to be able to just pop my head in the office ever week or every other week for a day here and there. Ill keep dreaming till then ;)

4. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

when you retire what will you do?you must have good help.

5. tthomass

from N. VA

I've been in this line of work since sitting in my Dad's lap driving a tractor so really not much of anything new. I just think that full time in 13yrs if my business is not at that point I will have failed. Not an option.

Semi retire is prob all I will ever do. This has always been a part of my life and probably always will...........nursery/tree farm/grower.....thats next.

6. crab

i like what i do,i think about retiring and just kinda wonder and then?seems like you just wanna shift focus ,good for you .

7. tthomass

from N. VA

I plan to relocate to the Raleigh area to be closer to home...........2 1/2 hrs vs 4hrs. Well the business in the Raleigh area, I will live somewhere between there and home.

Also, I have 240 reasons to be a grower........beef farm I grew up on. I then can supply myself + others as well as employee people back home that have lost lots of jobs due to industry moving/shutting down.

8. crab

please send at least one delicious reason to my shipping address at 36..............

9. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

My retirement plan: I die when I can't make anymore money or physically can.

10. tthomass

from N. VA

We used to have one processed every year when everybody was home.......just imagine, 2 chest freezers of beef..........ah yes, now im hungry