Landscaping and snow plow truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by newjerseylandscaping, Dec 30, 2010.

1. newjerseylandscaping

newjerseylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I have two questions,

1. Can you plow/ tow with a 150 or 1500 without destroying the truck?

2. WHat is the ultimate truck to plow with and also use for landscaping.

Im looking at a truck now and want to make sure it will work for me. THanks
    NJ

2. xclusive

xclusive LawnSite Bronze Member

1. Yes you can plow with it but towing is going to depend on how heavy the load is.

2. Everyone is going to have there own opinion. I would prob say a 350 or 3500 diesel. I have a 350 gas and it tows/plows good but a diesel would be stronger. I just did not want to spend the extra money on diesel engine. My next dump truck will be a diesel though.

3. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

it all depends on what kind of plowing you will be doing, how much snow you get and the size of the plow. a 1/2 ton truck will get the job done but you may find yourself replacing things more often if you do not take care of it.

4. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Where I live we don't get any snow so I cannot attest to whether a half ton would be sufficient. Towing i do know about. We use a f150 all the time and it can handle quite a load. Just make sure your trailer has electric brakes, that will make a world of difference. I personally think everyone should have a half ton in their fleet. New half tons can handle a lot more payload than older ones.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. TimNNJ

TimNNJ LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 150 I bought in 07 5.4 ..at the time I was using a 16' open..I have had an enclosed 16' for the last 3 seasons...it gets the job done..both have electric breaks..im in the process of selling both those trailers too if anyone is interested...im going to stiffen up the rear of the truck and buy and dump trailer...I almost bought a 2010 f250 diesel...should of..great deal..but this truck is almost paid off...so trying to keep lean....go big if you can is my advice..better in the long run..wish I did..but work w/ what I got

6. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

Tim you have pics of the 16' open?
    I guess of the enclosed too!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  7. TimNNJ

TimNNJ LawnSite Senior Member

I do..but they are on my laptop that died the other day..sweet!..but I will check my pc..may have some on there..or I will take some today...

8. bls47303

bls47303 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

ive plowed with a 1/2 ton for years you just have to take it easy on them come to a complete stop before shifting etc

9. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

If you are plowing driveways and pulling only 5000 or so regularly, a 1/2 ton will be fine. If you plan to do more than that eventually, go for a 3/4 ton.

10. newjerseylandscaping

newjerseylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I really like the 250s and the 2500, I found a dodge 2500 Thhat im looking at, the problom is im getting my license in march and im worried the bigger truck will have much higher insurance. THanks for the input. Also I dont know what id be plowing however i THink the HD would be better. Lets see how it goes.