1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

landscaping around kids playset

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by MudslinginFX4, Jun 22, 2005.

1. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

One of my customers had a playset built for their kids out in the middle of the yard. They want me to design a "kid safe" retaining wall and put some kind of kid friendly mulch or etc.. in the area to enhance the property and the playset. Any ideas? She had said something about the rubber mulch but I'm not too sure how this will feel on the childrens feet in the middle of summer.
  2. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

The idea of a "retaining wall" around a swing set does not sit well with me. I was just at a customers home yesterday and they have a swing set inside a 3' foot retaining wall. The floor is square concrete sections, and the wall sits 3' in front of the bottom of the slide, and the back of the swing supports touch the wall in the rear. I am considering talking to these people, but when you are that ********, what results can I expect when offering a logical reason why this is a bad idea? If I were doing this, I have to do a border around a swing set in a few weeks, and the customer wants pea gravel retained by some landscape timbers. I will get rounded timbers rather then the squared corners for the childrens saftey. I think the rubber mulch would work fine as well. Make your area plenty big, soft, and avoid pointed unfogiving borders.
    Good luck
  3. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

There are plastic landscape type timbers available that I have seen in public play areas that would work. However i would not use a rubber mulch because cats would still use it as their personal potty. Try the dense foam mats that are shock absorbing and will act better as a grass and weed barrier.
  4. rsls

rsls LawnSite Member

there are some other threads on this site about the same thing if you use the search, but to answer I used pea gravel and have good luck but the rubber mulch although more expensive would probably be better there is also play ground mulch that is also pretty good.
  5. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I did use the search button and didn't find what I was looking for. If YOU would have used to search button before posting that comment you would have seen that there wasn't much on that topic.

Shady Brook and grasswhacker, thanks for your comments and suggestions. I was not planning on putting a cement or brick retaining wall, but was looking at some kind of low border to keep the mulch in. Thanks for your advice.
  6. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Here ya go:

7. rsls

rsls LawnSite Member

8. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

pea gravel at a depth of at least 4-5 inches is the best palyground material IMO. I have used it several times and it is soft, cool in the sun and forgiving when the kid falls( if you use at least 4"-5"). to contain it, a 4x4" timber border is fine. go 2 courses high with the first anchored to the ground and set in about 2", then fill it with gravel and you have a great looking and functional base for a play area.
    hope that helps