Landscaping around tree's

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by kirk1701, Jun 24, 2012.

1. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

2. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

3. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Duekster is right on with his statements.

Kirk, I haven't read all your posts, but many that I have read makes it appear that you (IMHO) are overcaring for your landscape. I could be mistaken though. If the trees didn't have 6" of mulch\organic material around them when you moved in, then they shouldn't now. I don't think you will find a recommendation from any university or landscaper that says you should have 6" of mulch.

Landscape fabric or paper or whatever is one of the biggest scams to ever be foisted on this industry. Other than keeping stone out of the soil, it is a waste of time, money and energy.

Back to the "overcaring". God created these trees to live without your help, and they had been doing so for quite some time. Now you are trying to make it look better--good for you--but changing all kinds of conditions that these trees had been living in for 30 or 40 years.

You say you are watering the roots, where is the hose end? Are you really watering the roots? Do they need water? Have you checked the soil with a probe? Is there anything else going on? Has the root level been changed--other than the excessive mulch--in the past 10 years since you moved in? It takes approximately 5 years for a tree to go into decline following severe stress. Has it undergone a lot of stress in the past 5 years?

Not sure if you have Sudden Oak Death down there, but I would stay away from any kind of trimming or pruning of oaks during the growing season.

5. kirk1701

I've done that for the dogwoods in the front yard, you may have seen that thread, not sure. But I just noticed the oaks.

6. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I would like a couple of shots of the tree of concern.

Give me a close up of the trunk.

Give me a shot under from about 10 feet out of the canopy to under the canopy to the trunk.

Give me a shot of the whole tree.

Was there a tree next to it that you removed? You mentioned removing some trees.

Has any thing happened along the edge of the canopy? Landscape, the use of heavy equipment, vehicular traffic?

What has changed if anything?

Oh and what Type of Oak?

7. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

What type of herbicides are you applying to the lawn? 2,4D?

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I've heard of people killing tree's like this with round up so I chose not to even touch them with such.

You've heard wrong. Most likely.

It's possible, but not likely.

9. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

That's why forums are useful... specific questions with specific answers in a simple straightforward fashion... and many times there is more than one idea and more than one solution to any given bit of botany... :)

10. kirk1701

Sorry it took all day to repost, busy day.
    No herbs since March or April, I use very little and spot spray when needed. Soon as the grape vines start to bud the herbs go in the cabinet.

I didn't get the bark back last night before it got dark, spent the majority of my time watering and with this heat its a full time job. So, as you can see there wasn't much bark around it to begin with I pulled it back with my hand for the pictures.

Hope these are what your asking for, wasn't sure what you meant by canopy?

Yes, there was a tree next to it actually it was growing together and so close to the road the state wanted to get it away from the lines so we let them take the whole tree as it would been one sided. That was 5 years ago.

Landscape, no heavy equipment, traffic and nothing changed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]