1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

landscaping bids on site??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by LawnsRUsInc., Feb 14, 2004.

Drop off bid or mail???

1. Bid and drop off bid at home while your there?

9 vote(s)
  2. Do you write up bid at office and mail it?

20 vote(s)
  1. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

1.Do you guys submit a bid/proposal on the site where the work is to be performed. 2. Or do you take down the info write it up at the office and mail it???? We have been doing #2 for some time now but i was curious to see what has worked best for you.

Thanks, Jason
  2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I much rather have time to think about it, without being pressured by a customer looking over your shoulder. Take the time to sit down and make sure you've thought of everything, crossed all the T's, dotted all the I's.

Then, hand deliver if possible.

3. therainman

therainman LawnSite Member
    from IL

never mail... always deliver in person to explain and help wiyh decisions. try to upsell or if it is a no, try to re-bid to sell a smaller job.
  4. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Even better...

Always hand deliver. I do.
  5. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I always like to see the job think about it for an hour or two, never give an estimate on the spot unless its necessary. This way I can think everything out and give my best work at my best price. I will drop it off and go over it with the customer if they would like that way they can ask any questions.
  6. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Small straightforward jobs I will sometimes give an on-the-spot estimate. Most of the time if tell them I will contact them when I come up with a bid and then meet with the client in person to go over it.
  7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Jobs that should be around two, three, four thousand or so, I give them a ballpark at the site. Let's me know if they had any idea it would cost that amount and I can generally weed them out right then if it's more than they want to spend. I just ask them right out, should we do the quote or is it more than they want to spend. Larger jobs, people usually have an idea that it will end up a home equity loan or something and they are aware of the larger amount that some work will cost them. They've been doing their homework and know what the big jobs can run them. Everyone still gets a contract, regardless of job size. So my final numbers will be done in my office where I can think through everything and double check the numbers.
  8. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

It is good to give a free estimate(ballpark) at the time you meet the perspective client,as Randy mentioned.

We have this plan in place.created by mvaden
    FREE ESTIMATE ! What does that mean ?

Maintenance projects like mulching and yard detailing are offered in the Free Estimate.

Landscaping estimates are different. Usually, homeowners have no plans, drawings, or plant lists when we arrive. In that case, consulting or planning is needed, not an estimate.

Consulting and planning are not free. Those are services we offer. Consulting - if local - is about $25 minimum, and that provides up to an hour and a half. Each additional hour will be at least $20 per hour. We have never had anyone go beyond 2 hours. If homeowners have plans and details available to present to us, a Free Estimate is an option.

Most design plans are done for a fee. We prefer a flat fee, so estimates are provided for our design plan workmanship. Prices start in the realm of $25 for a sketch, and up to $200 or more for an entire residential lot. This includes travel to the site, acquiring some measurements, photographs, drawing the plans, copies, notes and plant lists. Cost will vary according to complexity, lot size and the city we need to travel to.The design is yours even if we do not install it.

The design prices are based on the condition that dimensions and plot plans are provided to us. Otherwise, time is required for measuring, which we are glad to accomodate.

Pruning estimates are the easiest to handle. Usually people know exactly what they want. Most pruning or tree removal estimates are given almost immediately .

Arborist Diagnostic fees range from 25.00 to 200.00 per tree. They consist of :
    What is wrong with my tree ? What can I do to save it ?

We reserve the right to cancel a fee. Sometimes people call for advice; like for how they can save a tree that has been severely sunburned. If it can’t be saved, we will cancel the consulting fee, and just give a free removal estimate instead.

9. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

depends on how easy the job is. sometimes i have given an estimate on th espot but for the most part i take back the figures and think about it for a while. then i will go back to the site and hand deliver the estimate and go over it in detail face to face with the potential customer. You have better cahnces of getting them to sign with you
  10. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

how are you guys having time to back track to the job to hand deliver an estimate what happens if they are not there. Are you guys calling and setting up a time? I always would just mail the proposal to them mainly for the jobs of 5k and below. Lawn care i do on the spot. Larger jobs i would stop by to show them again what is going to go on.