Landscaping bricks around a mature oak tree...

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Steve Swail, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Steve Swail

Steve Swail LawnSite Member

I've got a mature oak tree in my front yard that sits on a slope. I've thought of putting a ring of the interlocking landscape bricks to build up the low part (front) to roughly level with the back (high part). My guess is it would take at least 8-10 rows of the bricks to do the job. I would then backfill the encircled area around the tree with topsoil & mulch & plant a ring of monkey grass (wife likes the stuff). My concerns are 1) Is the addition of 2 or 3 ft of soil on top of the roots around the tree going to harm it any way? & 2) What's the best way to solidify the base of the bricks given the roots that are very near the surface? Thanks for any feedback & advice.

Steve

2. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

Lot's of views and no replies. LOL You really don't want to bury those roots that deep. If the tree's established, you'll have problems in the future. Roots need air and nutrients. Burying roots, that are acustom to the surface, could be detrimental to the tree. Sorry but i just wouldn't do more than 3-5 inches of topsoil and a small wall in front of that. Pics would help too.

3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

If its a White oak it will kill it. 2 to 3 feet of soil may kill any tree. Try mulching around the tree you might like the look

4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

If you put bricks down, it will only take a couple of years for the roots to push them up and move them around. I don't mind using bricks for smaller sapling as it would take 10 years or so to push them. A mature tree will do it faster.

I agree with the mulch, cut an edge if you can and throw it down.