1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

landscaping design software

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mrbelvedr, Nov 5, 2005.

1. mrbelvedr

mrbelvedr LawnSite Member

2. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to this site, you will find tons of good info here.

Take a look at the Pro Landscape software. I have it and love it. Although I have not started using the 2d designs yet, mostly the 3d designs and the proposal also.

Here is a link to the page you would probably be interested in.

3. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

I will second Prolandscape. Just realize that the software is not much more than a digital pencil in plan mode. You have to create the design. If you use it as a drawing tool and have already mastered landscape design, you will not be disappointed. If you are thinking any software will help you design, you are mistaken. The 3D imaging is a great selling tool to give the clients an idea of what the finished product will look like. It will NOT look exactly like the 3D imaging. It can give your client a better idea of what you are attempting to do, but you still have to know your plants and good design practices. Any of the software requires a great deal of time and skill to master, CAD experience is invaluable as well as the patience to master the program. Just because it looks good on paper, does not make it good design.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I would take a good look at prolanscape also. I have only had it about a month and it looks like a quality program. I did a lot of research before I purchased it.

Kirk, looks like maybe you had a bad connection the other day. I called you right back, but it said you were out of area. Anyway, my question was answered on another forum. While working with a project you can click "window" from the top tool bar. It will open a timer where you can keep track of how much time you have spent working on a project. It will track time spent on that particular session as well as accumlative time spent on that client's project. Just has a pause and reset.

5. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

6. mrbelvedr

mrbelvedr LawnSite Member

Which of the program is geared towards people without much drawing experience. I am not good at that stuff, I need the easiest solution preferably.

Do any of the software have an "automatic landscape generation" once you put in the house dimensions? That would save me a bunch of time, then I could just tweak things as needed!

thanks for all the fantastic input thus far!

7. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Tom, do you do design work now and have you had any CAD experience?

I think that automatic landscape generation button is on your phone. That's when you call a designer to come in and generate a plan for you. No software is going to help you design, not yet anyway.
  8. walker-talker

from Midwest

I was playing around with PL the other day. Once you take a pic of house and put in the plants with the image editing part of the software, you can have it draw a CAD diagram automatically of how the plants are placed in relation to each other, but does not give any bed boudries or any other for that matter (i.e. house, garage or driveway). It does not actually design anything for you, but the search feature of plants is quite awesome. You can check off a list of requirements and it will search the database for possible solutions. For example, you a list of shrubs that take full sun, grow 4' tall, flower in the spring, yellow flowers and in your particular zone. It will give a list of plants with pictures. This is going to be a great learning tool for myself.
  9. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

If you want the good stuff...it will cost you. If your serious about landscape and design it is well worth the bucks. :)
  10. walker-talker

from Midwest

They had a copy for sale on eBay the other day for $800, but that auction is over now. I agree, $1300 is a cheap price to pay for what you will get out of it. Do a search and see what the more expierenced users have to say about it.