Landscaping Expo

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jnjnlc, Feb 1, 2002.

1. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

I mentioned a month or so ago that I was thinking of doing an exhibit a local Landscape and Remodel Expo. Well we did. I have attached a pic of the exhibit. Sorry for the quality. I have better pics coming from a digital camcorder. Hope to get them soon.

I do not have the plan on my pc. I hand drew it.

2. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

Here is the pic. I had to make it smaller to get it on here.

expo pic.jpg

3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

These are the pictures I've been waiting for----- This looks very nice and I can tell it took lots of work to get it put together. What is the arbor made from?
    So how did the show go in terms of customer interest and solid leads?

4. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

I made the arbors out of Bamboo.

We did very well. I would say that I will land at least 15 landscaping jobs out of it. I already have six quotes to give and have not gone through my call back list yet. I also have landed a couple of maintenance contracts. It was a good thing to do. We worked hard to get it set up.

5. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Good for you!!

I'm glad you did well, as hopefully that bodes well for us, too. Our show happens the first week of March.

6. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Looks beautifull.. You guys did a great job !!!! and glad to hear it worked out so well.. I have been thinking of doing something , not as elaborate for years.. Never got to it though ...

Questions : From the looks of the pics its indoors ??? What did you have to do on the floor underneath to lay the sod and support the arbors ???

ANy reccomendations for someone who might go do this too ??

Thanks

7. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Because this is our first foray into expos I can't tell you whether or not this works, but I'll tell you what we plan to do...

Our arbor will have short stabilizers running parallel to the ground at the foot of the posts. These may be held down by small sand bage or something heavy, which will then be covered by mulch and plants.

For the sod I'm relying on an experiment Scott's did awhile ago, pouring concrete over an entire yard and laying sod over the top. With fert and water they kept it green for years. Mine only needs to last 2 days, so I'm hoping a little water does the trick. But it will be sitting directly on top of plywood.

8. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

My arbors stood alone without any support. I did think of securing them in the following manner but never got around to it. The arbors are bamboo. I was going to take a 3/8 sheet of plywood about 6"X36" and attach a dowel to it. The bamboo would slide down over the dowel and I could secure it with screws. The plywood would lay under the sod and mulch.

Yes it was indoors. I first laid heavy plastic over the entire area. I made some boards with plywood to keep the mulch inside the area. They run along the back and sides. I then added the mulch and contoured the area. The mulch is about 12" deep along the back. I put in the plants and hardscapes. The sod was last. The small area of sod to the left of the walkway is on mulch because of the contours required to hide the plants pots. The sod along the front is lying directly on the plastic on concrete.

I used a garden sprayer to keep everything wet. The sod look better at the end of the show than it did at the beginning. I also took a few cubes of ice and put in each of the plants pots. The ice slowly melted to help keep the plants moist. I also sprayed them with water a couple of times a day. The expo was three days. The plants did suffer a little but they will come back.

If you are going to do one of these and have never done it, I have the following suggestions.

1. Use heavy paper instead of plastic. The plastic is slick.

2. Do all of the pre-planning you can do. Build anything ahead of time that you can just drop in place.

3. Write out a plan of how things will progress in the install. You do not have a lot of time to install. (My wife, myself and another lady friend installed ours in about 14 hours).

4. Be willing to change things on the fly and at a moments notice.

Good luck

Thanks

9. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Jeff..

So how big of an area was this 10 x 20 or bigger ????? Thats' alot of mulch.. How did you get it in there ?? bulk or bagged and did they let you bring the truck in or did you have to cart it all in ??? 14 hours man .. God Bless.. But obviusly well worth the time and effort.. Hope when I do it , it comes out half as attractive as yours...

Thanks again..

10. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

Thanks for the complements.

The space was 20X40. I do not have a dump truck so I used my 6X12 trailer and put 32" sides on it for the mulch. Two trailer loads and my pickup truck full of it. I figure around 20 yards or so. I got the mulch from the local recycling center. They take hardwood mulch and die it red. They give you a little less than 2 yards for every yard purchased. I bought ten yards and almost did not have enough. All of the mulch went in by hand and came out by hand. No loader or anything. My back still hurts just thinking about it.