Landscaping Fabric Recommendations

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by vFer, May 5, 2014.

1. yardatwork

yardatwork LawnSite Senior Member

I use Dupont from Lowe's...3'x300' for $62. Fabric is a HUGE help for the lazy homeowner who isn't wanting to weed weekly. Three inches of mulch sounds ideal for the landscapers that just scalp and not use fabric...but...lets be honest. The homeowner will have a jungle the following year. Scalping the lawn only, in my opinion, is the worst technique. Put down the fabric and tell the homeowner that this is a great way to prevent a majority of weeds, but seedlings will fall in the mulch and grow on top of the fabric. It they see green growing...spend a half hour a week pulling the unwanted green.

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

So you guys that don't use landscape fabric....you just install river rock straight on dirt?
    Goodness, what a mess that would be when weeds start to come through the rock.
    A quality (keyword) fabric will prevent 97% of weeds or so....the weeds that do worm their way thru just squirt with roundup once or twice a year.

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Fabric gets used for rock.

Not for mulched beds.

Fabric under mulch does nothing.(thats been a known fact by professionals for over 20 years)

Properly installed fabric under river rock or other decorative gravels prevents the aggregate from mixing/getting pushed down into the dirt/mud…but it's not installed with the purpose of preventing weeds, it's for the purpose of separating the materials (if properly installed) to give support to the rock bed in general

4. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Speaking of weed fabric under mulch, two guys and myself spent the better part of a day removing weed fabric from a few beds on Wednesday. And by weed fabric, I mean woven geotextile that's been there for at least 10 years, probably more. You would think that geotex would prevent weeds. Let me tell you, that fabric was so root bound that in some areas, we had to use hand pruners to cut the roots underneath so we could pull up the fabric.

Weed fabric under mulch is a farse.

5. GrassIsGreenerLawnCare

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

That's going to be me on Monday. I hate this stuff. Not sure why anyone pushes this crap to put under mulch....waste of time/money judging from just about every bed Ive ever seen it in. Hope the stuff isn't rooted in there...sometimes you get lucky and it comes right up. Looks terrible when it starts tearing and sticking up through the mulch too.

6. show-n-go

show-n-go LawnSite Member

I did a test in my own beds. Newspaper down on half a bed and nothing on the other half. I am approaching the 1 year mark. So far so good, only a couple weeds. I don't even remember where i read that at but my wife was willing to hold the paper while we did it. It was a pain with the wind though.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I never said that.

Well, Mr Snyder?

Or are you still looking for the benefits of mulch vs stone?

8. shane-pa

shane-pa LawnSite Senior Member

You try to educate the customer all you can, but in the end, I think it gives them a fuzzy feeling when they see the fabric being put down. I tell them I will not put any guarantee on their beds to be free from weeds.

9. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I go by what spec's say I do a lot Government work I fallow the spec's

I try talk people out of mulch talk them in going Rock

No benefits in mulch just to suck $$ out your customers pockets

At least with fabric under mulch you can clean out the mulch out the beds easy
    These days River Rock is cheaper then mulch when you buy the color mulch
    around here it is

10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Rock is merely for decoration and to take up space.

Rock in and of it's self does nothing to "prevent weeds"

Mulch retains moisture, rock does not.

Government spec's are misguided and in no way reflect any kind of Green Industry Norm, any more than home depot dictates trends.

In many cases I see geo text (which replies water) covered by rocks for a planting bed… huh…how are the plants supposed to get water?

If people just learned how to use Dimension or Snap shot, treflan or any of the others, we wouldn't have this mess.

Too many "landscapers" not having chem licenses or knowing anything about applications (IMO)