Landscaping Fabric Recommendations

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by vFer, May 5, 2014.

1. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Mulch holds pest
    Mulch doesn't let the ground breathe
    Rock beds is easier to treat for pest
    Mulch beds is harder to treat for pest

In the Lawn I have year contacts I don't have problem with weeds
    Not much problem in beds

Now Tree rings the mulch rings and Rock rings is different story they get treated about once a month for weeds I guess since its smaller area its hard keep clippings from getting in the them
    We run OCDC on mower I teach my guys to shut them on every pass when pointing at the tree ring but have wind factor play with

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

So does rock and fabric.

Not true, and even if it were, fabric is considerably worse.

Perhaps, what pests are we talking about?

Why? Is it more or less difficult to manage pests that live under rocks or under mulch? Could you please provide some insight on this because customers of mine who have pest treatment services come out on a regular schedule that is not in anyway dictated by the landscape.

TPendagast is spot on in his assessment in post #23.

Fact of the matter is, the type of mulch used should be dictated by the plant requirements. Fabric under organic mulches is a waste of money and does not in any way lead to a healthy soil. One of the main benefits of an organic mulch IS its decomposition, and if you are replacing organic mulch on a yearly basis then you are not doing it right to begin with.

3. Victorsaur

Victorsaur LawnSite Member

I honestly thought you were being sarcastic when I first read this. This is almost like saying that food is the biggest scam because you have to go shopping every week. Please do some research.

4. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Moles Treating for grubs is easier with rock Vs mulch
    Treating mulch for grubs you need a spray probe to inject in the ground
    using dry grub control is more effective with rock VS mulch The rock lets it filter down to the ground. Mulch soaks it up and doesn't let it filter to the ground
    Most lawn guys only treats the lawn for grubs they forget there are grubs in the beds
    Mulch doesn't let the ground breathe thats a common fact
    and decaying mulch will hold termites that's a fact
    That's why I remove old mulch every 3 years here and that's why I put Fabric down makes easier to remove the old mulch.

Hey if you don't have my problems in your area then do it your way .

I done a bed redo it was a mulch bed and I killed 12 moles I installed river rock back This bed was 5'x45' and on the same lawn I was redoing a Rock bed was no moles So right there shows mulch holds moles That's my selling point on rock and Customer wanted mulch back but after seeing the difference between the 2 beds. She went with rock in all the beds

5. Snyder's Lawn Inc

My research is from 33 years in the business

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

IMO, you need to check your "facts" Snyder

7. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Its my facts I don't care what a book says I never do things from the book anyway
    There is some things you cant learn from a book learn from hands on and having common sense

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

This would explain the "Snyder's Lawn Inc" vs. landscape management or some such moniker.

You are so wrong, it's not even funny.

You don't even understand the multitude of benefits of mulch. Scary that you proclaim your experience as wisdom.

Because apparently you have about 33 years of mistaken experience.

Kiril, sometimes you can be an arse, and other times you are dead on right.

You might want to try some better research.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, you do. You said you follow the gov't specs without trying to educate anybody.

10. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Everybody has there own opinion you do it your way and I do it my way you think your way is right and I think my way it right
    Only thing matter is the beds my beds are healthy the way I take care of them That's all that matters