Landscaping/Hardscaping job opinion

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by knuckles, Jun 15, 2005.

1. knuckles

knuckles LawnSite Member

These are pics of a job I did. Job was done for a friend in exchange for some home remodeling, so I was able to get my feet wet on the paver walkway(techo-bloc) and landscape. Any constructive criticism would be appreciated. one question I had was if the walkway is to close to the house and are there to many curves in the walkway. Thanks for your opinion or suggestions.

small tone pic 1.JPG

small tone pic 2.JPG

small tone pic 4.JPG

small tone pic.JPG

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

It looks good, just one question though. What type of edge restraint did you use around the perimeter? The lawn in the finished pic came in nicely. Looks like it was hydroseeded.Nice job for your first paver job :D

3. chesie

chesie LawnSite Member

I think you did a great job for a first time paver job. Nice lines in the walk as far as the curves. One suggestion would to be bury your downspouts to daylight outside the walkway...the water will be dumping next to the pavers. Water is your enemy with paver installs.

4. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

5. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Knuckles, overall, I think it looks good. One question. Did you overlay the pavers and then cut them in place, or did you cut them individually?

There are two things I don't like. The joints on the soldier course are too loose for me. Also, you have a soldier course all the way around the walkway, but not where it meets the driveway. It's a matter of preference and my preference is to run the soldier course along the driveway. Is there a reason you didn't continue the soldier course along the driveway?

6. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

One other thing. I notice your base doesn't extend past your pavers. I also notice that the soil looks very sandy. Do you guys in that part of NJ, where the soil appears to be sandy, do base prep differently then in this part of PA, where the soil tends to be heavy clay?

7. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I think it looks good enough to pass for sure...just constructive critisism.. I don't agree with the others that the curves are all fine... if you look in pic 4 the second last cure if your looking toward the wheelbarrow , looks off to me. .. I also would have done the soldier course along the driveway as someone already mentioned... overall good job.

as far as the standards used in the actual build I agree with the others about the base prep.

8. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks great....how many hours did that job take you?

9. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

First time? I'd say you did a hell of a job. I really like the layout alot and the one thing I would change as already stated would be running your soldier course along the driveway edge. Minor detail though, keep up the good work. I'd be proud of it.

10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

The beggining is a bit narrow right off the first area and walking towards the house.The circular area in front of the front step is making the last curve look off.plant around the last outside curve all round and it should correct that.Great for the first time job.