Landscaping ideas

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by scarr133, Jun 23, 2013.

1. scarr133

scarr133 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm doing a little landscaping in front of my house and need some ideas on what to it in. I ripped out about 6 big juniper bushes and want some nice low maintenance but nice looking plants, shrubs and/or flowers to replace them. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Nice jap maple on corner
  3. scarr133

Need some low profile ideas for under the windows
  4. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

Keep it simple and classy
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. GVL LLC

GVL LLC LawnSite Member

maybe some azalea, boxwood, hydrangea. All of those have low growing varieties and would look good
  6. Cody S

Cody S LawnSite Senior Member

Boxwoods, Barberrys, (maybe Euonymus), and Hydrangeas/Peonies (if you want flowers) under window. Japanese Lace Leaf in the corner. Day Lillies are also a nice perennial to have if you like more of the flower look.
  7. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member

Enlarge your older beds. Maybe a slight curve off your sidewalk going into the front of your house then make a curve out and around your house. I would put something with alittle height on the right end of the house maybe a weeping cherry. Jap maple right beside your front porch. Then I agree with others here azaelas, boxwoods, hydrangea in between your two show piece trees on each end. Then accent your trees with some clusters of flowering perenials. Also maybe add a bolder or two. Good luck show us some pics when your done.
  8. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Use your landscape to affect the overall appearance of your house.

Nothing says "welcome to my garage" better than a front door tucked behind it. Nothing says "lopsided" more than a roof over that door, a walk that is one foot away from the garage, and a clear view past the right side of the house.

Recenter the landscape to the area in front of the house (the middle window of the second floor). Remove the walk, put a small "meet & greet" patio in front of the house, extend the plantings beyond the end of the house wrapping forward toward the street, add a tree in the planting to put the "pasture" in the background, and connect the patio to the driveway and front door. I don't care what plants you use, this will do more to make your house look good than any plant list. Choosing the best plants after that will only improve it more.
  9. scarr133

All great recommendations. Thanks for everyone's input and help!
    Posted via Mobile Device