1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Landscaping Job

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Texas Complete Lawn Care, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Texas Complete Lawn Care

Texas Complete Lawn Care LawnSite Member

So i have been asked to do the largest weeding and mulching job i have ever received the picture wont upload for some reason, but basically they want me to weed out the gardens or spray herbicide to kill the weeds, then spread the mulch. I'm not sure if this is a good idea to use herbicide due to all the plants they wish to keep. Does anyone use Herbicide in situations like this? if so what kind would you recommend ? They are providing the mulch and having it delivered that was what they wanted to do. How would i estimate the total cost of the job?

2. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Well not to be that guy but you probably need a license in Texas for herbicide. One way around that is have the home owner spray the weeds and you pull them before putting mulch down

How many yards?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Texas Complete Lawn Care

about 75 yards of flower beds total plus each averages about a yard wide

4. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

You mean 75 yards as in length or 75 yards as in volume?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Texas Complete Lawn Care

75 yards as in length

6. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I'd take a trimmer and hack them down as much as possible, then spray round up or gly star on the whole area.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. jonnyz37

jonnyz37 LawnSite Senior Member

225'x3'=675 square feet..... That's about 7 yards at 3" deep. If beds are close and not difficult to mulch.... Figure 1 yard per hour.... So 7 hours to install the mulch. Figure your hourly rate x 7= prove for installing mulch. Add time to pull weeds for total. Personally I figure 40 per hour. And you should not spray anything without a license. You could easily get into legal trouble if caught or anything goes badly between you and the homeowner.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto, we do this all the time. We also use a drift cone on the end of the sprayer in order not to get wanted plants.

Then do a follow up 2 weeks later to get any weeds that escaped.

Also put down a pre-emergent. We use snapshot.

9. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Get a brush mower, it would be easier.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. indplstim

indplstim LawnSite Member

A brush mower?.... for knocking down weeds in an established landscape bed?.....oook
    Posted via Mobile Device