Landscaping License

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by turfscape, Mar 4, 2007.

1. turfscape

turfscape LawnSite Member

what does it take to get a landscaping license. i've heard that you just have to take a test but i'm not really sure. so if any of you guys know for sure it would help alot. thanks

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

are you talking about the Certified Landscape Technician license?

3. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know about Ohio but here in Virginia you need a contractors license to put a shovel in the ground. I do not have one and as a result only offer maintenance services.

4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I am still learning about all of the licensing stuff, as I want to run my co by the book as much as I can. I need a nursery dealer license, because I buy and then resell plants to the consumer for installs, commercial turf fertlizer license, and my pesticide/fertilizer business license, because I fertilize lawns and spray for weeds for profit. These are all I know of so far, Im sure I will find more here in Ohio

5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

For a business license you will need to go to www.irs.gov and get a FEIN and if you want to spray chemicals you will need to contact you dept. of Ag. and take the commercial applicators test.

6. workinallthetime

workinallthetime LawnSite Member

so the irs number qualifies you as a license lawn maintenace provider? i thought the number meant only you had a legit business.
    so i could be xyz llc your licensed and insured lawn care provider?

7. turfscape

turfscape LawnSite Member

Sydenstricker- yeah, that's the one i'm talkin about