Landscaping new homes

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by fortdan, Oct 13, 2006.

1. fortdan

fortdan LawnSite Member

There are a few new homes being built in my neighborhood and I want to do the landscaping. Who would I talk to get the job? Should I just walk up to one of the workers and ask who his boss is? There's no number for me to call, so if any one has done this before and knows what I should do I would really appreciate it. thanks.
  2. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Talk to the contractor or his superintendant.
  3. fortdan

fortdan LawnSite Member

I don't know who the contractor is.
  4. dKoester

Ask one of the workers. Make sure you are liscensed and insured. You will be 1099'd at tax time. Nothing hard about it.
  5. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Any real-estate signs? If so call the agent and they can give you the lowdown about all the sites.
  6. Rcgm

Rcgm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Talk to the builder tell him you want to meet or beat his landscape price he is getting right now and you will make it better.Tell him you want to give him multiple home discount. That is the 1 thing I am good at I can sell landscape jobs not even trying.
  7. Coumbe

Coumbe LawnSite Senior Member

I had a lady approach me and ask me to bid their installs. I was not sure what she was asking. So I asked she wants me to bid the initial landscape packages for their homes. She said it will be grass laid on dirt that needs no more pre, and about 5- 10 bushes and a few flowers for color. How do you bid this kind of thing? Is it profitable?? I know it will depend on the market but overall it sounds ok.
  8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You need to go out and look at the houses and take measurements, then make up a basic landscape plan
    and get prices on what your materials are going to cost you, equipment, deliveries ect.
    Then add your mark-up on materials and figure out how long it'd gonna take you, how much help you may need and how much you are going to pay them.
    Usually installs like that are going rate $55.00 to $60.00 per man hour depending on your area.
    Then put it all together and x by how many houses there are. Then submit the estimate to her.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

If you do not know who the builder is I would believe he is a small builder, which would be a good bet that he bought the lots and is building spec. Could be Cook or Du Page but both have GIS sites (or Taxs info sites) so search out the lot and find the owner. Should be the builder.
  10. dKoester

Take your material cost multiply that by 2.5-3 times what you paid for it, then add your labor cost along with travel cost.