landscaping over/around exposed roots

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by victor m, Nov 5, 2006.

1. victor m

victor m LawnSite Member

i have 2 mature liquid amber trees with several exposed roots, they are not only exposed but have inundated the irrigation system. what are some options for re-landscaping over or around these unsightly night trippers?

2. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

If there is still a tiny bit of soil you could find some sort of groundcover that will grow over the roots by spreading laterally. However being in CA, I have no idea what type of plant you would want to start with, but if there is something suitable you could plant some groundcover plants in amongst the roots and let them just spread over the roots covering them and thus making it into a landscaped area where people will not be walking. You could also put a thin layer of mulch but you have to be careful so as to not increase the moisture level too much and allow the roots to rot away. My guess is planting in between would be your best bet and also look the best.

Just a midwestern opinion, someone else who is iny our area may have different ideas.

3. victor m

victor m LawnSite Member

thanks for the idea, i'll check with my local nursery as to what ground cover might work best. as far as irrigation i guess i'll have to use surface/perimeter of some sort because i don't see any way to go under or through these roots

4. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

You could use a soaker hose but you also dont want to saturate the soila nd kill the tree although I do know absolutely nothing about that type of tree.