Landscaping searches in steady decline

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by Team-Green L&L, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I was playing around on Google Trends today and noticed a steady decline in the number of searches for "landscaping". My area didn't get hit so hard, but worldwide there has been a 30% decrease in Google searches in the past 4 years and in America there has been about a 15-20% decline:

ScreenHunter_03 Jan. 08 19.43.gif

ScreenHunter_04 Jan. 08 20.30.gif
  2. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

3. shade tree landscaping

shade tree landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

its amazing though how once spring comes the chart takes off....and then by mid to late summer its dropped off....would love to know what that big decline in the begining of the second quater of 2007 was caused by
  4. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

unless I'm missing something, it looks like searches fall off this time every year.
  5. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

One landscape truck driver ruined it for all of us! He hit a bicycler and people must have gone on strike! :laugh:

See Letter B
  6. shade tree landscaping

shade tree landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
  7. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

This could also be because of an increase in the use of other search engines such as Yahoo (Yahoo Local) and an increase in online yellow pages.
  8. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

All I know is that phone calls are coming in at twice the rate this January compared to the last 5 years. Not all storm related either.

My web page views shot like a rocket the past week and half. The number you see written should really be closer to 660 page views for this week, because when I took the screen capture, it was adding today while only at the 20 views point just after midnight. So my page totals now, are as high as the February and March of previous years. In other words - very good. I have more than landscape pages. I'd go nuts if I got this many page views on my main services pages. The bulk are the landscape and tree care tips pages.

Ignore the huge gap Dec. of 2007. I had begun to quit tracking stats on a lot of pages, then changed my mind and added the code back in to the pages.

The one period that I really like just for consistency, was between April 2008 and October 2008. See how fairly flat the traffic stayed, compared to the fluctuation the previous year in that span of time?

9. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

MVaden, I don't know how you're seeing that king of traffic and spike, but congrats! Now, here's the biggest question...are those numbers converting. Are you selling to AT LEAST 1-2% of all traffic?

I don't pay for floor space to get window shoppers and I don't pay for bandwidth unless I'm converting. Traffic is great and all, but what is it without sales? If you sold 60-100 jobs already this season from your site I am thoroughly impressed. SEO is a little more than traffic, but that's still impressive none-the-less.

I am also wondering about the decline of '07. That's peculiar.

I think that Yahoo is getting a little better in their market share and with their new marketing system they may increase that revenue also, but Google still has over 65% of the search market and when I look at stats I try to find the highest number of subjects. Seems to be more accurate that way. For those in lawn care, imagine Brickman Group of search. You may be big, but they're still bigger...
  10. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I did not really explain completely what I meant by many pages being "tips" pages. No Google ads go on my main services pages. But on the tips pages, they do. So I average $100 a month from Google for the ads on the pages.

Most of my pruning and landscape work is coming from the site. Never did call old customers once we moved back. Don't mind them, but almost preferring to start from scratch. But I may call some this spring.

But never had time to after moving back here last June. The website kept us busy. And I was told enough referral from it to supply about 1/4 to 1/3 of another companies work too.

Anyhow, all I know is that most calls now are coming from the site. More calls than usual, and the site is getting more traffic than usual.

No complaints - last November was not a fun adventure due to the economy.