landscaping sites?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by guntruck, Oct 23, 2000.

1. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Any of you guys know of any good sites where i can learn about shrubs and trees and so forth. I would like to get into the installation of these but need to learn more like how big they get whats better for shade etc. any help is appreciated. =)

2. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

Im sure there are sites to be found, but I stick to my god (Michael Dirr) Guide to hardy trees and shrubs. Latin names, common names, flowering times of yr, height, width, etc. Cost is about $70 but well worth it. I also use this to show scape customers illustrations.

3. John Deere

John Deere LawnSite Member

Ditto! Michael Dirr's book is excellent. A must have for a landscaper.

4. FIREMAN

FIREMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from n.j.

THAT IS CERTAINLY THE BOOK TO HAVE...HOWEVER IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO THE INTERNET...CHECK OUT THESE...SPRRY I HAVEN'T FIGURED OUT HOW TO MAKE A LINK YET,,,
    1 GARDEN WEB.COM....SIMILAR FORUM SET-UP, THIS IS A LARGE SITE.
    2 LANDSCAPE MARKETPLACE.COM....IS A SALES COMPANY SPECIALIZING IN SPECIMEN PLANTS..BUT THE PHOTOS ARE GOOD AND THEY DESCRIBE EVERYTHING THEY SHOW....BY THE WAY ON A SALES NOTE..THEY AREN'T EXACTLY CHEAP

5. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Fireman,
    I'll give you a trade. You stop shouting at us with the Caps Locked, and I'll tell you how to make a link ;)

To make a link, type the bracketed sections exactly as shown, except without the spaces between the brackets and the website address:

[ url ] http://www.landscapemarketplace.com [ /url ]
    www.landscapemarketplace.com

OK its hard to explain here because even with the spaces I added to confuse the computer, the software makes the address a link. But the stuff I wrote in the brackets, exactly as written including the brackets, with the web address in between will create the link.

[Edited by BRL on 10-26-2000 at 12:19 PM]

6. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Try some of the major college/university sites. I know schools like Ohio State, Penn State, and Rutgers have some really good information. U will find stuff on all sorts of things.

steveair

7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

8. KindGardener

KindGardener LawnSite Member

Here in California, the definitive books are Sunset's "Western Garden Book" and "Landscaping Book".

If you're fortunate to live close to a college / jr college that offers a Landscape or Horticulture program, get yourself into a Plant ID course. Here's what they offer locally:

http://iserver.saddleback.cc.ca.us/div/hort

9. Starling Lawn

Starling Lawn LawnSite Member