Landscaping software or not

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by nobagger, Sep 26, 2005.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

How many of you use any type of landscaping software. I see one of the sponsors are having a "special" yeah, $1200.00 a little steep for me. Is there anything in the lets say $200-$300ish range thats worth a crap.
  2. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

From my experiences, the programs take ALOT of time, but there is no subistute for seeing what the landscape will actually look like. I would not even try the cheapos.
  3. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

With the cheap software, you get what you pay for. The $1200 software is not that expensive when you consider the cost of some of the others out there. You must realize that these software titles are simply drawing tools in 2D and imaging tools for the 3D. They are not design tools but simply drafting tools. The photo imaging is great for giving your client, or foreman a photo representation of what your design will look like. It will not look exactly like the installation!

As Lawnworks said, any software take a serious commitment of time to master. The results can be fantastic, but will take a great deal of time to master. It makes for a great winter project if things slow down. You may be better off enlisting the assistance of a designer that already uses software and has design experience or talent. You should also justify cost for your designs. The software and time it takes to create a good design is valuable and should increase the size, quality and scope of your installations.

4. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

We bought Drafix's pro landscape...
    It definatly takes time to master. I also have CAD experience so that took care of the basics.
    My problems is I get so many bids that I cannot produce designs fast enough to win the bids.... that is a result of losing my helper.... So I'm stuck working all day last thing I want to do is come home do bills then design!...

Definatly, worth it though the image makes it so much easier to up sell your projects wheter it be boulders, lights, etc... Take it up over the winter you'll need some time to get the hang of it...