Landscaping suggestions

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by whitenack, Nov 14, 2005.

1. whitenack

whitenack LawnSite Member

Hi all,

I own a duplex (see pic) that I recently removed 17 taxus bushes from.

Needless to say, I have a lot of landscaping to do.

I would like suggestions as to what to put in.

*Property faces due south, full sun
    *Kentucky, so upper 90's summer, below freezing in winter
    *There are three areas I want landscaped:
    1.) The area on the right side between the Holly tree and the door (about 10'x3')
    2.) The area in the center between the doors (about 15'x4')
    3.) the area from the left door to the far Holly tree (partially obscured by my young maple tree).

In the center area (area #2) I know I want to put a strip of large flowering red cannas. My parents grow scads of these every year, and they always end up with more than they started with, so I will probably have enough to stretch from door to door.

However, during the winter months we dig them up. Therefore, there will be a big dirt spot during the winter where the cannas used to be. I would like something growing in front that would hide the dirt in the winter, but not hide the cannas in the summer. Also, cannas require water about every day, so whatever shares the same space would have to tolerate a lot of water.

It would be wonderful if there were color at different seasons. I have summer and mid-fall wrapped up with the cannas, but it would be nice if there were something that would provide some early to mid-spring color and then give way to the cannas.

Aside from that, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks for your time,

Duplex Front.jpg
  2. whitenack

Also, I have heard that roses need to be planted where they will receive the morning sun (in addition to their requirement for full sun).

Is this correct?
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Not neccesarily as long as they get at least 1/2 day sun or more.
  4. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

You know, I’m sure this is probably more than you would want to even think about, but I’d almost consider removing the sod between the drive and the right door, as well as a similar strip to the left of the left door. If landscaped properly it could add character, interest, and could be used to draw attention to whatever landscape material you have directly in front of the house between the two doors, such as bright yellow floribunda roses, cannas, or whatever. And, since there isn’t a path or walkway going to the drive, why not allow for that as well?

Anyway, just thoughts…
  5. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Do you live in this duplex or rent it out? If you rent it then I wouldn't do anything to it.
  6. whitenack

I went with alternating boxwoods and crimson pygmy barberries all the way across, with it bowing out in the center plot so that I will have room for my cannas. At some point I might put in some daffodils in front of the newly planted shrubs if there is room.

Critical care - thanks for the ideas. I have thought about something like that, although not quite as extensive. I have thought about white dogwoods either on the outside or inside of each drive.

Tadams - We own the duplex, used to live in it, but now live two houses down. We are hoping to spruce up the landscaping to help increase the property/rental value.