landscaping test question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenback, May 5, 2004.

1. greenback

greenback LawnSite Member
    from L.I.

when you guys took the test to get your license, what was the test about. what king of questions and material. thanks, long island, suffolk county.

2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you mean pesticide applicator, consumer affairs, or what?

3. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

In Rhode Island, there is no test or license for General Lawn Care.
    You do need to be licensed for Pesticide applications and so on.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

if you are applying 2 oz per 1000 sq ft, how many oz would be applied to an acre. if you need to apply herbs to a property, and there is a bus stop with waiting children close by, you a)do your application. b) wait till the children are gone . c) ask them to move

5. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

ahhh...

(d) tell them "GETTA DA HELL OUTDA DA WAY. WORKIN HERE!!"

6. greenback

from L.I.

i'm gonna have to choose answer d.
    dont bother me DEC i am working.

the test is a home improvement license, the people in the hauppauge buildings suck.

7. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

The home improvement license is a general test relating to being an ethical contractor. It has nothing to do with landscaping. It really is just a way to drum up revenues, in 10 years, I have never seen any enforcement by Consumer Affairs. And they doubled the fee 2 years ago, for what, I have no idea.
    Get the study guide from them first, but it really isn't a hard test. If you can't pass, you probably shouldn't be in business.

8. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

In nassau we don't have no stinkin' test for home imp, just have to pay 400$ for no enforcement

9. greenback

from L.I.

anyone know if the suffolk price is $400, the lady on the phone told me i have to send a 25 dollar check. that seemed real low to me so i thought there might be another charge. it has been almost 2 weeks since i called them, i am going down there on monday, slow mutha f@$%#$@.

10. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

Here in WV a small business licenses cost you $15.00 per year.

You call call the business what ever you wish.

The knee jerker comes when it is time to file for Workers Comp coverage and have to describe the type of work you preform.

I knew a guy that was operating a tree trimming business and had his workers comp insurance listed that he operated carry out store. He is no longer in the tree business after a guy fell out of a tree and got hurt. They wanted to know what was a store clerk doing up in a tree to start with. he had to pay a high 6 figure sum to settle with them.