Landscaping Trucks - Image or Efficient?????

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Tn Lawn Man, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

I currently run crews that have trucks and trailers.

So far all are full size 1500 model trucks with 14' to 16' trailers. The rigs are nice and appealing to the eye. They are professionally lettered/signed etc... The trucks are on average 3 to 4 years old.

I have looked into buying landscape trucks. They look nice and professional. They give the image that you are a top notch company.

However, here is the problem:

The landscape rigs run about $25k to $35k fully outfitted. Whereas, the truck and open trailer rigs run about 1/2 the price or less.

I have looked at the functionality of both rigs and cannot see a significant difference other than not having to maneuver a trailer and the ability to tow more stuff by putting your equipment on the bed of the landscape truck and towing a trailer of mulch. Yet, I rarely see that ever done.

It seems to me that the true appeal of a landscape truck is image.

Please tell me if I am wrong or what I may be missing.

And, FYI, I am excluding from this discussion enclosed trailer rigs and box truck style rigs. They are a totally different issue to be discussed after this one.

What do you all think?

2. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Used ones are not 25k-30k.

3. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

I can see why the enclosed trailer is a different issue, but why are you placing a boxed truck in a separate catagory as well? You are still getting rid of the trailer?

If I were going to go to a lawn truck it would only be an enclosed, unless I was going to use a truck that I currently have with a 12ft flatbed.

FWIW - I'm really kicking around the idea of a lawn truck also.

4. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

enclosed truck or trailer has to have the issue of storage added to it. In either, equipment can remain inside secured and away from the elements vs. an open trailer or stake bed truck. Add to that the larger amount of real estate for ads, then subtract it's extra weight and wind profile. There's part of the differences.