Landscaping while in college

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jeffslawnservice, Nov 16, 2009.

1. jeffslawnservice

jeffslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Next year I am going to college, Not sure if I will be going away to school or commuting from home. I was just wondering if anyone else on here is doing the same thing or has done it. Let me know how you did it so work didn't interfere with school. Thanks

2. Somthinrandm

Somthinrandm LawnSite Member

I do the same thing, been doing it for 3 years now. I attend college monday through thursday and i work my butt off on fridays and saturdays. make sure your clients are understanding that you're a student still. there has been one client of mine that didn't like my schedule and then let me go but i quickly replaced her with no problem. I told her that i would be out to her house to do usual maintenance on friday and she would tell me that the grass didn't need to be cut and not to come. but then came tuesday, of the next week she would be Ringing my phone off the hook saying it neeeded to be cut and couldnt wait till the upcoming friday. i had to tell her i had class and couldn't come out till friday. she then let me go. no sweat though. Just make sure you and your clients keep in good communication and they're understanding and you'll do fine.

3. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

I took night classes, sucks to sit through class, dirty and tired from a day of work, but it was worth it.

4. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I am taking classes at the local community college. 13 credit hours this semester, going to do 18 next. Go to school all morning, work all afternoon. It's not that bad. And I know the knowledge I gain sitting in class will pay off in the long run a lot better then the 6 or 8 lawns I coulda mowed in that time.

5. jeffslawnservice

6. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Night classes for me. We have classes that start at 7pm here and get out around 9:30ish.
    I tried day classes but customers call during those hours and the professors are tougher because they think mommy and daddy are paying for everything. While going to night classes they understand you have a job. They don't make you spend tons of time doing 100 math problems that are exactly alike. They understand once you do about 10-20 you understand it.

7. W.L.M.

W.L.M. LawnSite Senior Member

I am taking 15 credits right now and it isn't that bad I managed my schedule so I have tuesday and thursday off and get most of my work done on those days but I do have a small bit of free time on mwf so I can still get urgent jobs done. The biggest drawback is I waste alot of gas driving to school and home then to jobs, but what can you do? Once the snow falls it will be really easy because I do minimal snow removal.

8. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

Went to school full time, worked 30 hours week at Walmart, did landscaping (little here and there) the rest of the time. Always busy and tired but a good tired.
    VO

9. casekey

casekey LawnSite Member

I am also doing this but i only go to school tuesday and thursday then work the other for a large company. Im tired alot but over all its good.

10. jeffslawnservice

Thanks for your input everyone. I'm sure I will definitly be busy during college with work and school but I should make it through.