Landscaping your own shop

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kandklandscape, Mar 8, 2008.

1. kandklandscape

kandklandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

Our one location is right alone a highway, at a traffic light intersection. Prety highly traveled road. We have this location for lawn equipment repair. However we want to landscape the front and possibly put in a waterfall and little stream.

Have any of you landscaped your own shop? We are looking to just landscape a little this year and add a retaining wall out front. We want no grass to mow of course.

Out in front of the building by the road we have some grass by a stop light. We want to get rid of that, however in the winter time of course the state plow trucks will prob ruin it for the most part. Not sure, just leave grass there and landscape by building? I will try to get some pics up sometime soon of our building.
  2. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

absolutely landscape your own shop.... it's like a signature...
    I don't have a shop... just my garage, but you better believe I'm gonna constantly keep up with my house. It's a blank canvas right now... (been in 5 months) so I'm looking forward to creating something good.

Bright bold color of annuals throughout the season, mums and pumpkins in the falls.... pansies all winter... anything to make the property stand out....
  3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Yes its a very good idea it puts your work right where you want it, in front of future customers.
  4. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

how bout some pics of the area in question. to get better ideas
  5. Plant Buyer 83

Plant Buyer 83 LawnSite Member

I agree w. Carolina. You would be crazy not to show off your work at the office/yard. If your specialty is paver's, then put a paver patio in. If its walls put up a nice retaining wall. Whatever you are good at and are trying to sell to the customer put it in your design and SHOW IT OFF.

The last company I worked at, a small high end residential design build firm. We had probably 15 different types of material for patios/walkways/driveways as well as various patterns in our yard. Same went for walls. Whenever the owner would meet with the client the first meeting would obviously be at there property. But the second meeting (the sales pitch) was always at our yard. This way we could show them the various options: paver's, PA bluestone, brick, exposed aggregate, Versa Lok/Anchor, natural dry stacked, large boulders, etc, etc... I think it really helped when trying to upsell the customer on going with a more expensive material b/c they could see what they were getting for the extra $$.

Even if you don't want the customer to actually come to the yard and look around, it is very important for your office/yard to say something about your company. You don't want a potential customer driving by and thinking why would I want to hire them when they landscape looks like ****. Whether or not you go all out and put in patios and retaining walls or just start out with a simple planting with color and texture. At least you will catch some eyes and in return hopefully get a few phone calls.

Could we see some pics??? Also keep us up to date on whatever the decision.
  6. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

something i need to do. but havnt yet..