lanscape fabric

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by chefdrp, Oct 9, 2004.

1. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

ok. i have read alot on the fabric. some use it some dont. Do i realy need it? I am doing an install in the morn and was not going to use any. There was no weeds in the spot i am do this. I had to take out a bunch of old overgrown out of date yews and instll some other plantings next to a house. Ill post some pics when i am done. Anyway. do i need to do the fabric?
  2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

No fabric. Lots and lots and lots and lots of posts warning of the dangers!!!!

Install mulch on new beds 3". You probably don't even need pre-m this late in the year, but make sure it goes down in the spring.
  3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Fabric is a waste of money. Anything that drops ontop of the fabric WILL grow. as stated a heavy mulch layer will not only limit the amount of weeds, but is also beneficial for your plant material. :)
  4. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

NO FABRIC NO WAY, and what they said.
  5. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Under any organic mulch no.... under rock, yes.
  6. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

NO FABRIC NO WAY ANYTIME!!!!!! :angry: :realmad:

We bid a couple jobs with removing bushes, weeding, mulch, and one removing rock, bushes, weeding and placing mulch and new plants there.
    I am soo glad I kicked the mulch up and seen the fabric. We bid them for an extra amount of time because the fabric is a PITA to get out and the weeds grow through it anyways, also it makes it harder for the post emergent chemicals to reach all the root systems under the fabric.. Both bids were accepted and went as expected, a PITA but finished them and they looked good and made my money. payup payup

If you are licensed to apply pre-emergents and post emergent weed control chemicals this is the way I would go.If not, then try to find someone that is and sub the chemical applications to them.
  7. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Are you telling me that you put nothing under rock?
  8. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

You definately need fabric under rock.

Under an organic mulch (like bark), you do NOT need it, as has been said many times before.

If you don't use fabric under rock, you are only asking for trouble down the road. When you put down rock, it's actually the fabric that acts as the mulch (it keeps out weeds and keeps in moisture), while the rock is merely the decorative part of it.

9. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Fabric often won't stop weeds in rock.

We all know of hydroponics.

Region may make a difference to a degree. But in Oregon, weeds grow in rock with or without fabric.

I use it to suppress the rise of soil up through rock.

One possible use, is to suppress horsetail and and various weeds like that in a few isolated cases.
  10. DALMlawn&landscaping

DALMlawn&landscaping LawnSite Member
    from TX

no - fabric under mulch

yes - fabric under decorative/structurative (is that a word) rock

no - you dont have to worry about weeds if you maintain the properties correctly

yes - i hate nut grass