Lanscaper Ambushed in South Atlanta

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clallen03, Jan 16, 2007.

1. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

I was just looking at the News and heard this story.
    A landscaper was called to an vacant house by a guy wanting him to cut the lawn on his property. They offered him $100 for what looks like a $50 yard to me.
    When he returned on Sunday to mow the lawn, the guy and a friend asked the landscapers to help them move something in the house. The guy next door said he heard some screaming and and came outside and found the landscaper bleeding on the front lawn of the vacant home. The landscaper had been shot 7 times. Several times in the legs, in the stomach, and in the head.
    He is in the hospital today in critical condition.
    I will keep him and his family in my prayers.

I'm posting this to give as many people in our industry a heads up and to get as many opinions as possible on what can be done in terms of safety for ourselves to avoid something so tragic.

Thanks

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

He must have pissed somebody off! Seriously though, that's scary. You gotta keep your guard up.

3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

thats why i always carry my gun

4. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

That funny...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:.....May i ask what kind it is???.....Scary, Didnt they hear the gun shots???

5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

:laugh:
    I just pictured a guy on a sulky behind a WB in shorts with a six shooter on his side and a grimmace look on his face. That would be great!:laugh:

6. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

2 of our foreman have a license to carry a concealed firearm here in Ohio. It is definitely good to be safe.

7. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I try to stay out of those areas. I'm by myself most of the time.

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

And there's the solution to the question of "what can we do in terms of our safety?"

Too bad we have a dip-**** for a governor and legislature here in WI. The commonfolk won't be trusted to protect themselves. No(legal) CCW at this time.

9. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

What do you carry and how do you carry it?

10. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I routinely carry a firearm with me. Both for protection for me and my crews and for critter control.
    Used to be a five shot, bobbed hammer .38spc revolver. Ugly as sin but disappeared in a pocket real easy. I actually had to shoot a 4' rattlesnake in a client's sage hedge one day. Was on my hands and knees tracing irrigation wires with a Progressive and wound up under this huge 6' high hedge. I sounded like an injured water buffalo in there, kept getting jabbed, poked, hell I got stung by a ground wasp and yelled - that's what brought the client out. He sees only the absolute bottom of my feet and begins laughing so hard I thought he @#$@ his pants. Well to make a story short, I think I see a short cut outta there and begin wiggling in that direction. Only to come literally face to face with a real pissed off rattlesnake. About the same time I hear the rattle the client says to me nervously that he hears a rattlesnake. Then BOOM BOOM.
    I crawl out from under the hedge, wire tracer in one hand, pistol in the other. The client sees this and starts laughing again so hard he had to sit down. And yeah, he got the rake and pulled out the snake. Only in Texas.
    Now I carry a S&W M&P 9mm I got for IDPA shooting in the Stock Service Pistol Division. I used to carry a Colt Python but it has become too valuable to sweat on all day.