1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Lantern/post lights

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by 2low4NH, Apr 21, 2013.

1. 2low4NH

2low4NH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NH

Okay I need help. I have 2 jobs right now where both customers want Lantern/post type lamps on top of pillars. I was looking for the lamps and only found one company that made them for $975 thats way way way out of the budget range. is there a cheaper alternative?

2. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

3. 2low4NH

from NH

I should add I want them to be low voltage

4. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

There are very few traditional coach or carriage lights that are low voltage. Use a line voltage fixture with socket converters and install an ELV transformer in the post/stem of the fixture. Get an electrician to do your 120v work for you.

5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with James, often times you can find halogen and led bulbs in 12v as well in the e26 ( regular medium base Edison). but watch on the LED and make sure they run on 12v AC, as most 12v LED are designed for mobile homes and boats running battery power at 12v DC.

6. jmkr02

jmkr02 LawnSite Senior Member

Can't you Just use a 110 fixture and use 12v bulbs? Anyone know where to get cantebrella led bulbs?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Richie@

Richie@ LawnSite Member

8. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

Every single major manufacturer of LED lamps produces very good quality 120V candelabra lamps now. Philips, GE, Toshiba are but a few. Stick with them for best results, and if you do go with 'no name' 120V LED lamps, be sure they carry authentic UL, ETL or CSA listings.

9. 2low4NH

from NH

okay so this whole line voltage adapter with socket conversion etc. does any one have a diagram or how to video links or anything like that?

10. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

Ok, look. If you need instructions on the use of socket adapters you are clearly not qualified to be doing this work. Altering a UL listed 120v fixture for use in a low voltage lighting system is technically in the realm of a licensed electrician. I highly recommend you hire one to help you on this job. The worst thing you can do for your client, and for your reputation and longevity is to tackle more than you are capable of and then charge for it. Be a pro and hire a pro to assist.