lantern vs D-cells

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by 1idejim, Oct 8, 2011.

1. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

for around $4.00 american you can change the 521 from lantern to D-cell supply. at Radio Shack i bought some D-cell battery holders and i'm changing the supply in my 521's to D's.

a little solder and the change should be perminate.

i'll update later :)

101_7318.jpg

101_7319.jpg

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Are you going to try out NIMH rechargeable D-cells?

3. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Looks good, how well are they secured. It kinda looks like they might pop loose.

That 521 looks like it has some miles on it.

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Hmm, I'd heard the recharge jobs don't have the same juice as do the throw-aways. Jim uses the hell out of his 521, but those lantern batteries lasted us a long time, I had my crew put their tongues on the leads to test them out.

5. Wet_Boots

Not true - higher current delivery is why they recommend NIMH rechargeable batteries in cameras that use AA cells

6. Mike Leary

Link?...........I may be wrong, been there before.

7. Wet_Boots

Any camera manual will tell you that - the only argument against the NIMHs is that they can self-discharge over time - that may be changed with new designs

8. Mike Leary

O.K., that's what I remember about those batteries. Also, unless they were completely discharged, they took a "surface" charge and had no life, like a few of us on the forum. :dizzy:

9. Wet_Boots

I have a camera that uses AA cells, so I know the advantage of NIMHs for heavy draws, compared to the alkaline AA batteries that came with it. My camera does have a "battery discharge" function, but I don't think you have the same kind of worries you do with NiCad batteries, and their "memory effect."

10. Mike Leary

You're prolly right, so post some frickin' pics one of these days.