lantern vs D-cells

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by 1idejim, Oct 8, 2011.

1. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

bought a couple used from a friend, they are in perfect working order though.

they fit snug, staggered they allow the lid to latch and i was gonna use foam to secure them.

right now i have been playing with th 521's, i'll finish with the retrofit soon and post the final product. my point is by using the D-cell batteries you aren't locked out if you can't get the lantern style 6-volt. the cost is less also

2. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks, be interested in seeing the finished product; it's not a patent item is it (just in case I want to copy the design)?

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I forget, are these all in series? If there is six inches of room in the case, a single holder should fit (5.5 x 2.5 x 3)

12BH182AGR_t.jpg

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

nope, the holders are in parallel and they fit tightly as pictured. also nested as per picture the lid will latch.

i have a feeling that lantern style batteries will become harder to find in the future and D-cells are cheaper to use in the long run.

as i said, i will post the finished product and some test results later.

:)

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I might try to cobble together a 10-cell (NiMH's only) holder to replace the 12-volt lantern battery that once was a stock item at Radio Shack.