Lap controlls?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Phishook, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you Corn Huskers ever thought about changing steering levers to something similar to a Great Dane or Walker?
    Give me the pro's of your's, and the cons of the other style.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Phishook,

Thanks for the post. There are supporters of each control design. The real reason we prefer the side control sticks is operator comfort. There are many varied sizes to operators, taller, shorter, wider thinner etc. The side sticks just seam to accommodate a wider variety of operators more comfortably.

Just as an example if you have shorter legs the center control steered units can be difficult to get on and off. This can also be a problem if you hit an immovable object and slide forward in the seat. The center controls are often adjustable, however this can be time consuming if you have several different operators. The side sticks also allow the operator to use the armrests and relax a little more.

Like I said the side controls generally fit a wider variety of operators better.

Control sensitivity can also be an issue. While both control types can be mastered for one hand operation I'd hafta give the edge to the center controls. The issue however is maneuvering in confined areas. Many operators find the center controls can become "touchy" or over sensitive making maneuvering more difficult.

Each control system has it merits and each has its supporters. We just find that for our machines the majority of our customers prefer the side controls.

Thanks

Terry