lap top computer

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Shannon Phillips, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Shannon Phillips

Shannon Phillips LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Does anyone keep a lap top computer in their truck to track customers and billing? If so what programs do you use. Thanks
  2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Do a search on "lawn software" you will come up with a lot of threads. I almost bought a laptop last weekend at an auction. Windows 98 and 3gig hard drive, $130. I am kicking myself now. There is a user that goes by GrndsKeeper, if I am correct he has one in his truck and even has pics on this site of it. The programs that the most used are either Clip, Lawn Monkey, GroundsKeeper or Qxpress. I have demoed the first 2, but all of them offer free demos. There is another one from a maker called The person who uses this gives it much praise (only $35). I myself am thinking about Lawn Monkey, which in my opinion is used by most. Do a search on each of them and you will find VERY many opinions.

Happy hunting
  3. Barry D

Barry D LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I just purchased a phone and PDA all in one devise. That was from T-Mobile and it is called the Pocket PC. It runs off Microsoft and uses Word and Excel. I use Excel for my billing statements. It also is a great phone. You can download your software into this devise. Works Great!!!
  4. jkelton

jkelton LawnSite Member

I use a laptop in my truck because I end up going to different jobsites each week - I have a Garmin GPS receiver that I bought that uses the USB port and this lets me track where I am located at all times (using Delorme Street Atlas). Very handy if you are not familiar with the area you are at, plus the receiver is not really that expensive (~$200 if I remember correctly)
  5. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

I recently bought a laptop for use in truck, I made my on program, it calculates time onsite, time per ea. pc of equip,ttl daily work times, site time V/s Equip used time, IE wasted time!!
    $per hr etc.
    It also has input sheet for purchases and goes directly to Equip. sheet so I know act. hrs used and cost per each pc of equip.
    Maybe to much info for the long haul, but good for finding out each job cost.