Lap Top Computer

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Kevintree, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Kevintree

Kevintree LawnSite Member

Anyone using one in field??

What type?

What do you use it for?

Pro?

Con?

TIA

Kevin

2. lpwhandyman

lpwhandyman LawnSite Member

Have one, but don't use it in the field due to high temps in the truck. It would be nice to have a portable printer and make invoices in the field because my handwriting is far from being professional.

3. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

My advice

Dont Buy a Dell

Dont ever Buy a Dell

4. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Why not buy a Dell? I'm using one right now. I've never had a problem with them. This thing is completely wireless. I love it.

5. bettergrass

bettergrass LawnSite Member

why would you not buy a dell....that is the best computer you can buy as of now...tell me of another brand that doesnt just batch test computers and actually test every computer. my dad has his doctors in computer science so we have alot of computers around the house.....and the oldest we got is a original pentium dell running windows 95. not one problem with the machine and we have had it for 9 years now.

to answer your question id say if your looking to buy a machine to take with you youd have to look into those tablet pc's that are meant for that. laptops hard drives crash if you drive with them on or even walk with them on. tablet pc's are very expensive as of now.

right now i keep track of most my stuff with excel so i bought a DELL handheld that has windows pocket pc on it. i enter my stuff while sitting in the truck. when i get home i just infered it back to my laptop

o yea one more thing ibm has a new laptop out that has springs on the hard drive and shut the hard drive off before any impacts. you could look into one of those as a option

6. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a Dell and now that it's fixed it's great. I had to call dell about 5 different times to get this piece fixed and everytime I called I could hardly understand the people I was talking to. They all had middle eastern accents so I asked the one guy where he was in the world and he said he was in India. Apparently it is cheaper to hire techs in India. If I would have known this I would't have bought a Dell.

I don't take it with me when I cut. About the nicest thing about is with the wireless internet I can sit on the couch and be on lawnsite :cool2: .

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

problem with dell is they are propritory. it's hard to get any componets.

i have a dell printer. they claim that i HAVE to order my ink from them, no other ink will work, and they will dammage my printer and void the warranty.

Lexmark makes thier printer, so thier cartridges will work. They would not give me a cross referance number, and even said they were noting on my file that i told them that i was using another brand's ink cartridge.

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would be afraid to take the laptop into the field because of the heat and stress that could happen to it

9. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

i use mine for estimating, etc. although predominantly for my exterior remodeling business, and use a portable printer for contracts, plan printing, change orders, etc.

over the last 10 years i've had approximately a dozen different laptops (and purchased 40 or so total), with my current dell inspiron 5150 being my favorite. it's on the heavy end, but it's a complete desktop replacement set up for a power user, such as high-end graphic design software. my wife has the ultra-light dell with the mobile chipset in it and it is great, although too slow for my use. that's the problem i have with the mobile chipset in general.

i've had sony, dell, compaq, and ibm and the only one i didn't like was the ibm. personal preference based on ergonomics is always a key deciding factor for myself. knock on wood, i've had no hardware problems with any of them. i also have the dell axim pda, and getting ready to add their latest blue-tooth enabled axim. love them.

one note on ibm, if it matters to you, they are shopping their pc division and exiting that end of the business. last i read, china's largest manufacturer is looking to buy them, just not sure if they'll license the IBM name.

if you have any further questions, just yell.

tony

10. lpwhandyman

lpwhandyman LawnSite Member

Dell's have been good to me. She uses the desktop and I'm using the laptop wirelessly.....Nothing better then sitting on the couch watching tv and being on lawnsite. Well their could be one thing....but that doesn't happen much anymore... :cry: