1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Laptop in vehicle

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Tom Tom, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone use a laptop in their truck or van?

Was thinking of setting mine up to track customers, have a record of idiosyncrasies of customers systems, notes, etc.

What do you think? Waste of time?
  2. mjlcare

mjlcare LawnSite Member

ive been thinking about putting one in my truck for lawn care work just so i dont have to do the work when i get done each day and for im sure it would be useful, just make sure the wiring is right and poss a extra battery to run your extra equip and you could also print invoices on the spot
  3. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup, to get paper work done during the day, when I have a free moment or two.

I'd just use the car adaptor to power it instead of battery thou.
  4. Mike7468

Mike7468 LawnSite Member

As far as the printer operation and things like that you can always buy a power invertor that runs off the cigarette lighter. I've scanned in documents and printed things with that plenty of times. Both the laptop and scanner/Printer ran fine that way.
  5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I think it's a cool idea...you could enter parts & labor tallies from the crew
    in the field, while you're at the job site, so you can double check the parts
    call-outs. Note: get "spill" insurance for that bad boy, we folk have a lot
    of liquids around us: primer, water & :drinkup:
  6. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Invest in a locking cable..... deters the "casual" thief walking by while you are hunched over working in the back yard.
  7. Mike Leary

I heard Tom never gets out of his truck. :rolleyes:
  8. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

9. Mike Leary

What I found when we were on the road was how many wi-fi sites there are.
    You could E-Mail billings from the field & post pics to us.
    Hint: most upscale R.V. parks (especially KOA) have open wi-fi.
  10. lehrjetmx

lehrjetmx LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

My old boss had a nice set up in his box truck. He had a laptop with a little canon printer and a power converter. He printed up invoices, bids and layouts right on the job site it was pretty cool. We haven't moved up to that level yet but hopefully by the end of this year we can make that jump.